• Quick Navigation
Photo

Should a Last Magnet be an OPRP or a CCP?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Benzii

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Papua New Guinea
    Papua New Guinea

Posted 23 December 2015 - 04:36 AM

Hi all,

Im working on a HACCP Plan for a Flour Milling Operation. In a Wheat Flour Milling operation, should a last magnet before packing  be a CCP or should it be considered a OPRP in ISO 22000 considering if no Last metal Dectector is installed in the case of packing into 50KG bags?

thanks ya'll

Benzii

Baskaran Gangadharan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 89 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 23 December 2015 - 09:43 AM

Hi Benzii, 

As per my view, There is no thumb rule to define a CCP  in reference to ISO 22000: 2005 Standard 

All you have to do is - analysis your process flow in details. Understand- Hazard introduction possibility and severity of incidence in case of occurrence. Based on that analysis, you have define, whether , any specific steps in your operations need to treated as CCP or OPRP. 

In general note, in your operations before packing into 50 Kg bag  you have to considered that step as CCP ( presume, you don't have tools in place to scan the bigs for metal detections)

Baskaran.G. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 23 December 2015 - 10:06 AM

Hi all,

Im working on a HACCP Plan for a Flour Milling Operation. In a Wheat Flour Milling operation, should a last magnet before packing  be a CCP or should it be considered a OPRP in ISO 22000 considering if no Last metal Dectector is installed in the case of packing into 50KG bags?

thanks ya'll

Benzii

Hi Benzii,

Supplement to previous post.

You need to follow the steps in iso22000 sec7.4 et al  to determine if a significant hazard.

If yes, apply section 7.4.4 (a-g) to determine if OPRP/CCP. Decision trees such as Procert are also available for this step.

My prediction is CCP assuming the magnet can validatably match critical limits which achieve the validatable haccp requirement plus a "continuous" monitoring is possible.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

brianweber

Brian

• IFSQN Senior
  • 293 posts
  • 114 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cheese, Coffee, Golf, Scrabble, Food Safety, HACCP, BBQing

Posted 23 December 2015 - 02:58 PM

I came from a flour mill and on our 50lbs packing line the magnet was a ccp.

Brian

aebanno

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 05 April 2017 - 11:53 PM

For me the magnet is an oPRP. It controls ferrous metal but not other metals. It is not a last line of defence. CCP is when it prevents or rejects or reduce hazards to acceptable level.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Michelle Grace Astorga

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:44 AM

It depends on th criticality based on your HACCP plan, you need to carry out a HACCP audit to assess.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:37 AM

It depends on th criticality based on your HACCP plan, you need to carry out a HACCP audit to assess.

More precisely, the iso-haccp plan.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Michelle Grace Astorga

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 06 April 2017 - 05:43 AM

More precisely, the iso-haccp plan.

Thanks Charlie!

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:40 AM

Zombie thread!  

I'll still answer though.  In flour mills I've audited they've not had magnets at CCPs.  Personally I hate magnets, they have a habit of collecting stuff, then if it's not removed, dumping it back in.  The strength of the magnet needs to be known and as others have said, it's only ferrous that it would pick out.

Magnets before your mill are sensible as they will help protect your mill.  After this point and after milling, the flour will go through umpteen sieves.  This is the point I would consider being a CCP but a problem for many mills is being able to assess these sieves are intact in real time (i.e. before they release the flour).  I never got a great answer on that if I'm honest but perhaps measuring pressures either side is an option?

I did have a problem with one supplier where some packing around a pipe meant for noise and vibration deadening managed to get into the flow and this was after the sieving etc.  We picked it up in our sieve tailings on site.  They claimed the delivery pipe had become damaged spontaneously, only for our (small) order and that we were the only affected customer.  :roflmao:

aebanno

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:51 AM

If magnet is a CCP what is the critical limit? Can you establish it? If not, then that is an oPRP. check your Decision Tree.

aebanno

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:55 AM

Zombie thread!  

I'll still answer though.  In flour mills I've audited they've not had magnets at CCPs.  Personally I hate magnets, they have a habit of collecting stuff, then if it's not removed, dumping it back in.  The strength of the magnet needs to be known and as others have said, it's only ferrous that it would pick out.

Magnets before your mill are sensible as they will help protect your mill.  After this point and after milling, the flour will go through umpteen sieves.  This is the point I would consider being a CCP but a problem for many mills is being able to assess these sieves are intact in real time (i.e. before they release the flour).  I never got a great answer on that if I'm honest but perhaps measuring pressures either side is an option?

I did have a problem with one supplier where some packing around a pipe meant for noise and vibration deadening managed to get into the flow and this was after the sieving etc.  We picked it up in our sieve tailings on site.  They claimed the delivery pipe had become damaged spontaneously, only for our (small) order and that we were the only affected customer.  :roflmao:

Exactly! Magnet can't be  a CCP becasue it can only control ferrous and we can't determine the critical limit. However if there is sieve that is small enough after the magnet and one can measure the critical limit (eg: 3mm), then that is the last line of defence for any foreign materials. Sieve is a CCP.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 06 April 2017 - 01:54 PM

Avoid the headaches by making "it" a PRP via iso22002-1

Then install a metal detector at the end.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

corallie

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Guyana
    Guyana

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:02 PM

Hi Benzii,

You will need to conduct a hazard analysis using the decision tree to determine if the magnet is a CCP.  If you have determined that it is a CCP because this is your last defense to remove metals, then your critical limit will be the intervals you use to monitor the magnet, that is, every half hour or hourly to ensure it is not completely covered with metal and the need to change it to ensure it is effectively doing its job.

Charissa

Hassan2017

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 20 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 26 April 2017 - 12:22 PM

Thanks for raising this issue because I faced the same issue couple of years ago , after using the decision tree its considered as oPRP.

Regards

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users