Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 10 February 2016 - 11:40 PM

Hi , My name is Mdouva. I am QA/C Officer at pioneer foods. I would like to do a HACCP audit in a big kitchen. What are the most important things to look at when I do this audit?

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 11 February 2016 - 05:23 AM

Hi Mdouva,

:welcome:

If I'm carrying out a HACCP audit I would first check to see that the HACCP study has covered all applicable hazards for the operation.

Taking the HACCP plan I would be looking at the Critical Control Points and ensuring that they are adequately controlled.

In catering operations key items will include:

Minimum cooking temperatures

Cooling times if food is chilled afterwards

Hot holding temperatures/times

Chilled display temperatures/times

Storage controls

Segregation of raw/cooked foods in storage/handling/preparation

Training

Hygiene Policy and enforcement of

Cleaning and sanitation

Allergen controls

Foreign body control

Chemical control

Pest control

Supplier assurance and delivery controls

Kind regards,

Tony

Ehab Nassar

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 137 posts
  • 147 thanks
Excellent

• Egypt
    Egypt

Posted 11 February 2016 - 07:43 AM

Hi Mdouva, 

Based on Tony , I 'd like to focus on some details form my experience in this field which in mostly violated :

• personal hygiene specially hand washing ,you can use swabs and send it to your lab.
  • Do not ignor the importance of illness policy and medical screening .
  • the temperature of food items ( cold and hot ) , and holding time for each item should be clearly labeled with its holding time if it is in-house prepared  or opened .
  • Do not allow food to be stored in its can after opening .
  • All fresh produce receiving ,handling ,washing , holding ,... take care about it .
  • ​Mayonnaise and other sauces should be controlled , bottles/ jars must be labeled with opening date and discarding dates .
  • Take care about reheating , thawing , holding overnight ( specially for rice ) 
  • utilities ,knifes , cutting boards ,.....I prefer using colour coding differentiate between RTD , raw meat and vegetable .
  • if use Ice machine assure appropriate cleaning ( open the in house and inspect it ) , send samples for analysis .
  • if you have water filters inspect the validity and replacement time .
  • Do not allow zapper fly insect killer , use the glue board  , do not allocate it on preparation tables , sandwich station ,exposed food ,....
  • ​Do not allow pesticides or fly killer or storage of it . 
  • you can refer to ISO/TS 22002-2:2013

As a start you can use the below  check list and customizing according to your kitchen , it is very basic , However you can add to it more detailed quality criteria for the above items ,  

HACCP-Based SOPs - Standard Operating Procedures  ( click on it to download )

this for you check, but before make sure that the system in place and available for all team members , if not my advice is to create your own .

also there is good thread relating to this issue with topic "What should be the prerequisite programs for catering?"you can use it for team members training ,

http://www.ifsqn.com...tering/?p=93364

Good luck ,
Ehab 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users