• Quick Navigation
Photo

Does AIB require coving at the wall floor junction?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

AJ1795

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 58 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 March 2016 - 03:58 PM

Hi All,

The AIB standard does not specifically call for coving at the wall floor junction, just that it be cleanable.  I could have sworn someone posted an AIB guidance document here where they clarified that they did want to see proper coving.  Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction here?  Thanks!

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:02 PM

If it does not explicitly require it in the standard then it is not a "must do".  I couldn't find the latest food version, but I did find the 2000 version and it states the quoted text below.  What it says is your construction must be cleanable and coving is a good way to facilitate this.  To demonstrate compliance your wall / floor junctions must be clean when inspected and if you manage that by other means than coving then no auditor can argue.  If not they may say "have you thought of coving?" and write you up an NC.

Floors, walls, and ceilings shall be of such construction as to be adequately cleanable and kept in good repair. The following are further guidelines to assist in this:

b. Wall/floor junctions and corners should be coved to facilitate cleaning. Cavities in the surface of walls and floors should be avoided to prevent debris from lodging and to avoid pest harborage.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 14 April 2016 - 10:42 PM

I think I have a copy of the latest standard on the computer in my office. I'll look tomorrow and post again.

That being said, AIB does use "shall" and "should". The former meaning it has to be that way, the latter meaning "best practice" or "strongly suggested".

That being said, every facility I have worked in has C*#! base where it is needed.. generally in office areas or dedicated wet clean areas. 

I can't imagine the reason or the need for C*#! base throughout a facility. It's much harder to adequately clean and costs more. 

If your wall/floor junctions are whole, and clean, I hardly see why they should be coved.

Marshall

sdavies2008

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 15 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 04 May 2016 - 05:49 PM

do a search in your standard. If you are using the Prerequisite manual review section 2.5 and 2.7. 

If you want to have a written argument on if you need it then on the AIB website you can send an email to an auditor or call them. I use it often and get an email. I also like our auditor as we have the same one for 3 years so as a partner in our facilities success I work with the auditor on my 'standard' questions.

www.aibonline.org

Click on 'Learn who we are'.

Then click on 'Free information'

Go to 'Ask an Expert'.

They answer questions in English and Spanish. It states they answer questions on food safety, food safety legislation, nutritional labeling and much more. We spend lots of $$ on having them audit our plants. It is too our benefit but I suggest utilizing them as much as possible :)\

Sarah

mahmoud ahmed

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Egypt
    Egypt

Posted 10 September 2016 - 10:38 AM

YES !! :gleam:

Share this