Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 08 March 2016 - 10:02 AM

I am researching Training Needs Analysis in order to develop a system. Below I’ve put down some thoughts and hoping members can help me outline a simple system that works.

From what I’ve read so far (simply) Training Needs Analysis is the process of determining the training and development needs of people so that they can carry out their job effectively and efficiently, and also (maybe) to develop their careers.  Training needs equals “gaps” between the current and desired condition and we need to close the gaps through training, mentoring etc.

So then I guess we first need to know what the desired conditions (expected levels of performance) are.  So here is my first question, let’s say for a shop floor food worker what could those be for human safety, quality and food safety?

Secondly when we have our list of expected levels of performance how do we measure the employee’s performance?  Do you use a 1-10 level or something and who scores, is the individual involved?  Is it subjective/objective?

I can see the outcome being a prioritized list of training needs that we can work on and measure again next year as per PDCA.

Thoughts and example documents would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Thanked by 1 Member:

LoredanaM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 56 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 March 2016 - 02:48 PM

Hi Simon,

I had the same questions a few years back; my main focus was to develop a training program that will integrate the new employees in the world of "food safety" as well as an easy transitioning of employees from one department to another. All I wanted was to see an effective training, with no waste time (remember those sessions when the employees were too tired and fell asleep) and also trying to find the balance between subjectivity and objectivity. I do not have any documents that I can send, but my final decision after discussing the scope of the program with the managers (production mainly) and HR was to create a Training Manual that will include an introduction of the company, industry overview, general safety of production floor and product safety. After all generalities were covered the next step was to train job specific and cover all that was necessary for safety, quality of products. My idea was to be a combination of 4 hours classroom and 4 hours floor training (theoretical+practical).

The final test was a combination between classroom testing and job testing: objective for first one and subjective for the second (the supervisor will give his evaluation and the manager/director of the department will approve). 

Watanka

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 109 posts
  • 50 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 March 2016 - 05:38 PM

Simon,

We use a method that runs from the general to the specific.  We developed a simple set of general training goals that cover all the basics of regulatory, pre-requisite programs, QA SOP's, safety, security, HACCP and etc.  This material forms the basic needs analysis and learning objectives for new employee training and annual refresher training. From there we provide training on these topics to department managers, providing them with the needs analysis information and challenging each of them to develop a department-specific needs analysis and learning objectives.  We work with the department managers to ensure they have developed their individual training needs analysis/learning objectives that remain in compliance with core quality assurance principles and methods.  The approved training needs analysis has been fleshed out with both general and function-specific learning objectives with an emphasis on documented work instructions that are signed by each employee providing a paper trail and accountability that managers and HR love.  The general training is presented to the larger group, with department break-outs to follow which include both classroom and hands-on training methods.  Testing occurs to provide a quantitative, objective measure of learning.  This is followed by individual coaching, mentoring and evaluations that merge both the subjective and objective that eventually lead to employee performance evaluations.  Each year the training needs analysis is re-evaluated and updated.  One of the outputs from this process is the training register that documents employee training by department and topic.

To summarize, the training needs analysis starts as a general set of goals for all employees which is then sharpened into focus with department-by-department addendums, reviewed by senior management and the SQF Practitioner to ensure compliance with company goals and SQF requirements.  This method has proven to be successful for us over time and audits.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 08 March 2016 - 06:45 PM

Hi Simon,

I had the same questions a few years back; my main focus was to develop a training program that will integrate the new employees in the world of "food safety" as well as an easy transitioning of employees from one department to another. All I wanted was to see an effective training, with no waste time (remember those sessions when the employees were too tired and fell asleep) and also trying to find the balance between subjectivity and objectivity. I do not have any documents that I can send, but my final decision after discussing the scope of the program with the managers (production mainly) and HR was to create a Training Manual that will include an introduction of the company, industry overview, general safety of production floor and product safety. After all generalities were covered the next step was to train job specific and cover all that was necessary for safety, quality of products. My idea was to be a combination of 4 hours classroom and 4 hours floor training (theoretical+practical).

The final test was a combination between classroom testing and job testing: objective for first one and subjective for the second (the supervisor will give his evaluation and the manager/director of the department will approve). 

Hi Lorena, thanks for your reply...your system makes sense and takes an employee (new or existing) to your required level.  I really like the combination of classroom and on the job testing, good idea. :smile: My question leans more toward ongoing assessment.  So you have your employee fully trained, then what happens, do you give refresher training on the whole lot again at set intervals or do you base it on needs...specifically the needs of the individual?

Regards,

Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:00 PM

Simon,

We use a method that runs from the general to the specific.  We developed a simple set of general training goals that cover all the basics of regulatory, pre-requisite programs, QA SOP's, safety, security, HACCP and etc.  This material forms the basic needs analysis and learning objectives for new employee training and annual refresher training. From there we provide training on these topics to department managers, providing them with the needs analysis information and challenging each of them to develop a department-specific needs analysis and learning objectives.  We work with the department managers to ensure they have developed their individual training needs analysis/learning objectives that remain in compliance with core quality assurance principles and methods.  The approved training needs analysis has been fleshed out with both general and function-specific learning objectives with an emphasis on documented work instructions that are signed by each employee providing a paper trail and accountability that managers and HR love.  The general training is presented to the larger group, with department break-outs to follow which include both classroom and hands-on training methods.  Testing occurs to provide a quantitative, objective measure of learning.  This is followed by individual coaching, mentoring and evaluations that merge both the subjective and objective that eventually lead to employee performance evaluations.  Each year the training needs analysis is re-evaluated and updated.  One of the outputs from this process is the training register that documents employee training by department and topic.

To summarize, the training needs analysis starts as a general set of goals for all employees which is then sharpened into focus with department-by-department addendums, reviewed by senior management and the SQF Practitioner to ensure compliance with company goals and SQF requirements.  This method has proven to be successful for us over time and audits.

Hi Watanka, it sounds like a huge undertaking, but I'm sure well worth the effort.  Can you please explain a little about the performance evaluations and how they identify further training requirements?

Thanks,
Simon

Ehab Nassar

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 137 posts
  • 147 thanks
Excellent

• Egypt
    Egypt

Posted 08 March 2016 - 08:40 PM

Hi Simon ,

So then I guess we first need to know what the desired conditions (expected levels of performance) are.  So here is my first question, let’s say for a shop floor food worker what could those be for human safety, quality and food safety?

Secondly when we have our list of expected levels of performance how do we measure the employee’s performance?  Do you use a 1-10 level or something and who scores, is the individual involved?  subjective/objective?

Yes , agree with you Training needs = Current Capabilities - Required Competencies  , simply where is the gaps between what I should do and what I'm currently doing , 

Training should pass through  Knowledge  =====>  Skill =====> Attitude .

so for the 1st question , I prefer the objected measures , it is the KPI's way ,

(what is the Target) - ( what is the current ) =GAP which is should be covered in the training to fit the gap.

as per your examples

i. Human safety :  for example we can monitor 

- Number of incident due to human factors / certain period e.g.month ,quarter ..

- Number of Sick leaves due to human factored incidents /certain period .

- Result of assessment ( score or # of observations).

- Questionnaire or survey for each one measuring the awareness level

ii. Quality :  for example we can monitor 

- Number of customer quality complaints in ppm

- Cost of poor quality .

-1st time quality.

-On time release .

- Number of recalls.

-line Efficiency

-Result of GMP , ISO ,....or quality audit/assessment .

iii. Food safety :  for example we can monitor  

- same as that for quality when it is due to deficiency in food safety  , 

So now we have the KPI's and we had set the TARGET (we have our list of expected levels of performance ), by monitoring we had the current level , so the training needs is clear.

======================

2nd question :

Employee performance is measured through :

- After the training the trainee should pass an comprehensive training exam ( PASS / FAIL exam ) which will assure with evidence that  knowledge is gained .

- For the Skill we need to : 1- Follow up through on line posters , refreshment quick quotes or refreshment 5 min.training ( recap ) the 1-Observe the difference in the KPI's trend  2- if any (-ve )trend hold a discussion meeting .

after time the skill will be an attitude then know you can evaluate , I prefer through the KPI's ,I do not like the emotional objective evidences , business is finally objective figures.

I prefer to set a target objective for the team with cascading it into a smaller individual KPI's with using the leading and lagging principles , then make a category of achievements , for example FTQ KPI target = 100% , from 99-100 ( will be scored A or 10 ) , >99-90 --> B or 7 and so on ..

finally the daily factory tour from the QA manager and daily discussion build up a great awareness  and confidence level , I consider it as a great per of the training .

Sorry for long topic .

best regards ,

Ehab

Watanka

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 109 posts
  • 50 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 March 2016 - 11:25 PM

Hi Watanka, it sounds like a huge undertaking, but I'm sure well worth the effort.  Can you please explain a little about the performance evaluations and how they identify further training requirements?

Thanks,

Simon

Simon - our employee performance evaluations include reviews of any GMP compliance issues, work instruction compliance and so on.  Training requirements are often informed by a review of real world experience, not just a review of the approved lesson plan.  This feedback helps department managers understand where and possibly how to sharpen their training focus to meet the needs of the learners.  The training needs analysis benefits. 

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 March 2016 - 08:35 PM

Hi Simon ,

Yes , agree with you Training needs = Current Capabilities - Required Competencies  , simply where is the gaps between what I should do and what I'm currently doing , 

Training should pass through  Knowledge  =====>  Skill =====> Attitude .

so for the 1st question , I prefer the objected measures , it is the KPI's way ,

(what is the Target) - ( what is the current ) =GAP which is should be covered in the training to fit the gap.

as per your examples

i. Human safety :  for example we can monitor 

- Number of incident due to human factors / certain period e.g.month ,quarter ..

- Number of Sick leaves due to human factored incidents /certain period .

- Result of assessment ( score or # of observations).

- Questionnaire or survey for each one measuring the awareness level

ii. Quality :  for example we can monitor 

- Number of customer quality complaints in ppm

- Cost of poor quality .

-1st time quality.

-On time release .

- Number of recalls.

-line Efficiency

-Result of GMP , ISO ,....or quality audit/assessment .

iii. Food safety :  for example we can monitor  

- same as that for quality when it is due to deficiency in food safety  , 

So now we have the KPI's and we had set the TARGET (we have our list of expected levels of performance ), by monitoring we had the current level , so the training needs is clear.

======================

2nd question :

Employee performance is measured through :

- After the training the trainee should pass an comprehensive training exam ( PASS / FAIL exam ) which will assure with evidence that  knowledge is gained .

- For the Skill we need to : 1- Follow up through on line posters , refreshment quick quotes or refreshment 5 min.training ( recap ) the 1-Observe the difference in the KPI's trend  2- if any (-ve )trend hold a discussion meeting .

after time the skill will be an attitude then know you can evaluate , I prefer through the KPI's ,I do not like the emotional objective evidences , business is finally objective figures.

I prefer to set a target objective for the team with cascading it into a smaller individual KPI's with using the leading and lagging principles , then make a category of achievements , for example FTQ KPI target = 100% , from 99-100 ( will be scored A or 10 ) , >99-90 --> B or 7 and so on ..

finally the daily factory tour from the QA manager and daily discussion build up a great awareness  and confidence level , I consider it as a great per of the training .

Sorry for long topic .

best regards ,

Ehab

Thanks for the tips Ehab, very useful.  I guess also if we are to embark on ongoing training based on the needs of the business, where issues are occurring, where we need to improve, where the individual is not performing it should start with the most significant.  For example you may have 50 SOP's, but out of them maybe only a handful that are critical to food safety, quality etc.

Simon - our employee performance evaluations include reviews of any GMP compliance issues, work instruction compliance and so on.  Training requirements are often informed by a review of real world experience, not just a review of the approved lesson plan.  This feedback helps department managers understand where and possibly how to sharpen their training focus to meet the needs of the learners.  The training needs analysis benefits. 

Thanks for the clarification Watanka.

Regards,

Simon

LoredanaM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 56 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 March 2016 - 01:33 PM

Hello Simon,

The reason I came up with that type of training was due to the fact that we were reviewing the SOPs too many times too often. There will be a minimum of one time a year refresher; my suggestion though is that on a quarterly basis to do a refresher that will include only issues encountered during normal hours (of course correction on the spot, with a more detail discussion in the training session) or noticed during internal audits, GMPs walks or other types of reviewing the pre-requisite programs. As far as marking the assessment I will do it once a year for the objective portion of it, where the subjective portion of it the supervisor should ensure it covers the whole year. Of course, like always in personal and food safety there should continuous training. But minimum once a year, interactive every 3 months and when needed the exemption.

Hopefully this will help you :)

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users