• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Israel
    Israel

Posted 28 March 2016 - 08:23 AM

hi:)

i wonder if someone tried to scoring the internal audits and give to the examined deparment a final score of the audit. 

i would like listen your experience and your ideas for scoring key.

thanks u :)

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:39 AM

hi:)

i wonder if someone tried to scoring the internal audits and give to the examined deparment a final score of the audit. 

i would like listen your experience and your ideas for scoring key.

thanks u :)

Hi benjamin,

Not sure if you mean -

(a) (i) numerically scoring or (ii) via Cr/Se/Ma/Mi

(b) scoring the (i) NCs or (ii) the opposite ?

This recent partially related thread was ultimately interpreted as referring  mainly to internal audits, i think - 

http://www.ifsqn.com...critical-items/

i suspect most people don't use elaborate (internal) scoring systems due to insufficient defects. :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,791 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 March 2016 - 10:47 AM

For internal GMP audits we do a scoring system dependent on risk so if there is an imminent risk to food safety (such as a CCP failure) it would score 30x what a minor 'poor practice' issue would score.  In between we have more moderate scoring levels, e.g. "risk to product within 1 month", "risk to product within 6 months".  Of course these are all judgement based assessments and scoring can differ slightly but we do benchmarking sessions to check we are as consistent as we can be.

benjamin_weizmann

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Israel
    Israel

Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:29 AM

Hi benjamin,

Not sure if you mean -

(a) (i) numerically scoring or (ii) via Cr/Se/Ma/Mi

(b) scoring the (i) NCs or (ii) the opposite ?

This recent partially related thread was ultimately interpreted as referring  mainly to internal audits, i think - 

http://www.ifsqn.com...critical-items/

i suspect most people don't use elaborate (internal) scoring systems due to insufficient defects. :smile:

Thanks u  Mr. Charels.

indeed,  i meant to objective and fair numerically scoring or any other indexes/keys  then i can get a comparative basis between examined departments in internal auditing.

continuously, how do u to tent to present the part of internal audits in the managmant review in your company?

thanks,

Ben

Jus'me

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 54 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 April 2016 - 06:02 PM

When doing an internal audit, I use the same scoring key as the external independent audit giving them a numerical value from 1-5 (1 being Critical to 5 being in compliance).  Each department is given an individual score and there is the cumulative score for the entire company.  It is easy to understand and use.

Mandark

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 41 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 07 April 2016 - 01:17 AM

Hi Benjamin,

You can refer and adapt the IFS scoring system. Just download the IFS Food standard manual (https://www.ifs-cert...251-ifs-food-en). We present the score to the management as an integral part of Departmental / Section KPI (Key Performance Indicator).

Regards.

Mandark

benjamin_weizmann

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Israel
    Israel

Posted 07 April 2016 - 05:24 AM

When doing an internal audit, I use the same scoring key as the external independent audit giving them a numerical value from 1-5 (1 being Critical to 5 being in compliance).  Each department is given an individual score and there is the cumulative score for the entire company.  It is easy to understand and use.

thanks Jus'me,

and how u decide which is the approprite category  (1-4)?

do u use measure to compare between departments ...cause according your scoring method, it sounded not fair 

do u have any periodic score ?

how do u normalized it to core for the  entire company?  if you compare this score over the years  (as objective), you will get a bias - because of the quality and the quantity of the aduits thah each year are not the same - so, normalized measure is required.

Jules

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 33 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 April 2016 - 06:37 AM

For GMP auditing, look firstly at your pre-requisites that are auditable listing and grouping them on a document, look also at your BRC or equivalent audit and bring into your list anything fundamental that is auditable on the GMP. Decide what you will score for basic pre-requisites being compliant and double that amount for fundamentals being compliant (I use 2 and 4). From the total amount available to score and the amount scored you can calculate a percentage compliance, this can be trended across time, do not worry about going back in time. You can however use this to trend year after year. I did at a company and noted a definite dip in the summer holiday season where temporary workers were brought in to make up the required number of operatives.

A tip is to have a "blank" section at the bottom where non-cons not easy to fit into your list can be placed. i have a space for 5 of these where the total score could be 10 if I can't find anything; for each non-con placed here I award -2 points.

In addition to the percentage score you can take a view about what types of non-conformances you have identified. Should you see any criticals or majors then raise these as non-conformances and follow the normal route looking for:

1. Immediate corrective action (verified)

2. Root cause analysis 

3. Long term preventive action

Kind Regards

Julie

Measure with a micrometer, mark with a pencil, cut with an axe!

benjamin_weizmann

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Israel
    Israel

Posted 07 April 2016 - 06:54 AM

For GMP auditing, look firstly at your pre-requisites that are auditable listing and grouping them on a document, look also at your BRC or equivalent audit and bring into your list anything fundamental that is auditable on the GMP. Decide what you will score for basic pre-requisites being compliant and double that amount for fundamentals being compliant (I use 2 and 4). From the total amount available to score and the amount scored you can calculate a percentage compliance, this can be trended across time, do not worry about going back in time. You can however use this to trend year after year. I did at a company and noted a definite dip in the summer holiday season where temporary workers were brought in to make up the required number of operatives.

A tip is to have a "blank" section at the bottom where non-cons not easy to fit into your list can be placed. i have a space for 5 of these where the total score could be 10 if I can't find anything; for each non-con placed here I award -2 points.

In addition to the percentage score you can take a view about what types of non-conformances you have identified. Should you see any criticals or majors then raise these as non-conformances and follow the normal route looking for:

1. Immediate corrective action (verified)

2. Root cause analysis 

3. Long term preventive action

thanks for your response..

and how do u genatere  a general periodic measure for the certain department? average score of all adutits in the same period?

Jules

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 33 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 April 2016 - 07:01 AM

A measure such as an average score is fine, but improved if you put a trend against it - better demonstrated by graph than by a figure. You could use a count of critical or major non cons raised against a department.

Bye, off to work now

Kind Regards

Julie

Measure with a micrometer, mark with a pencil, cut with an axe!

Jus'me

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 54 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 April 2016 - 01:49 PM

For monthly inspections I have a from with the different groupings such as GMP, Food Safety, Food Defense, etc. and when I see a non-compliance I score it on how severe it is, i.e how much of a food safety risk it is.  And we keep a log of non-compliances so each month I make sure what was listed before has been addressed and watch for trends.  For the annual audit I use the SQF audit criteria which can be found on their website and again score it on the severity.  Is it to a degree subjective?  Certainly, but any audit/inspection has some subjectivity to it, you can have two external auditors come in and score things completely different.  There will always be some subjectivity to it but if you have listed criteria (don't make it too narrow or else you can overlook things), based on yor SOP's and GMP's, then score it by asking "What is the food safety risk here, is it going to cause an immediate hazard, (critical) or could it some day possibly become an issue (minor).  Hope that makes sense and answers your questions.

Maria Jerty

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 30 April 2022 - 05:48 AM

What is the Pros and Cons of scoring the result of Internal Audit by the number of Non Conformances only 

Pass if No Critical, No Major, Less than 5 Minor and 10 OFI

Fail if more than that.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users