• Quick Navigation
Photo

How do I go about my annual review of SQF elements?

Share this

Best Answer , 11 April 2016 - 03:42 PM

idealdreams, You're specifically talking about the annual document review, correct?

At our facility, we have a "Annual Documentation Review" sheet that we fill out for each document being reviewed. It states the document number, name, current revision, and responsibility (person who reviews the document). The second half, which the reviewer completes, has check box options: "I've reviewed the document and find it to still be current", "A document revision is needed", and "This document is no longer active" (along with a line for the reason). They then sign off on it and date it.

Then all of these review sheets are attached to the most-recent version of the document and stored in a binder. If a document needs to be revised, it goes through the process and then the new document is put in the binder, along with this sheet and another sheet that summarizes the changes (the old revision then goes into an archive.

We've never had an SQF auditor complain until the most recent guy, who was a...well, he was very detail-oriented and liked having things his way. (Apparently, flipping through a binder was too much effort and time for him) So now we have a "last review date" column in our document register, but we also have a paper trail as proof that the review did take place.

I hope this helps!

-Christina

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic
- - - - -

idealdreams

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 65 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 April 2016 - 07:30 PM

Hi all,

It's been a year since I've begun SQF and even though we have not been audited or certified yet, I need to begin the annual review. What is an acceptable way to do this to show the auditor a review has taken place?

I have created a document for each subsection for the relevant modules in SQF. For example, I have separate documents outlining procedures and policies for 2.1.1, 2.1.2, 2.1.3, etc., so would the best way to conduct an annual review be to go through each document and add a "review" section to show it was reviewed and on which date? Or would be be better to record something like this in the document register?

Thoughts?

Dr.Khan

DR

• IFSQN Senior
  • 314 posts
  • 132 thanks
Excellent

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Food, Reading technical information,provding technical help in QA,R&D,staff Training, products and processes optimisation, watching documentaries and making presentations
    AM available as consultant in Quality Assurance, Product & process development/ optimisation, staff training and trouble shooting in complex manufacturing Environment

Cal me on +61411588329 to discuss your requirements.

Am available for International Assignments

Posted 09 April 2016 - 01:11 AM

Hi

Please visit the following link and download the document which will help you in implementing the auditing system.

http://www.sqfi.com/...uidance-7.2.pdf

Kind regards

Dr. Humaid Khan

MD Halal International Services

Australia

ChristinaK

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 182 posts
  • 66 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Art, Games, Gardening, Costuming, Public Health, Composting (with the power of worms!)

Posted 11 April 2016 - 03:42 PM   Best Answer

idealdreams, You're specifically talking about the annual document review, correct?

At our facility, we have a "Annual Documentation Review" sheet that we fill out for each document being reviewed. It states the document number, name, current revision, and responsibility (person who reviews the document). The second half, which the reviewer completes, has check box options: "I've reviewed the document and find it to still be current", "A document revision is needed", and "This document is no longer active" (along with a line for the reason). They then sign off on it and date it.

Then all of these review sheets are attached to the most-recent version of the document and stored in a binder. If a document needs to be revised, it goes through the process and then the new document is put in the binder, along with this sheet and another sheet that summarizes the changes (the old revision then goes into an archive.

We've never had an SQF auditor complain until the most recent guy, who was a...well, he was very detail-oriented and liked having things his way. (Apparently, flipping through a binder was too much effort and time for him) So now we have a "last review date" column in our document register, but we also have a paper trail as proof that the review did take place.

I hope this helps!

-Christina

-Christina

Spite can be a huge motivator for me to learn almost anything.

Thanked by 1 Member:

idealdreams

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 65 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 April 2016 - 06:45 PM

Christina, that method sounds like it will be the perfect method for us to implement here. Thank you for the input & assistance!

ChristinaK

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 182 posts
  • 66 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Art, Games, Gardening, Costuming, Public Health, Composting (with the power of worms!)

Posted 11 April 2016 - 07:12 PM

Christina, that method sounds like it will be the perfect method for us to implement here. Thank you for the input & assistance!

You're very welcome! I'm glad that it will work out for you! 

-Christina

Spite can be a huge motivator for me to learn almost anything.

Mulan1010

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 249 posts
  • 139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 April 2016 - 03:32 PM

In addition to what Christina shared on making sure the programs and documents are up-to-date our SQF Auditors also expect a review of

1. the Internal and External audit findings and corrective actions for the past year to include any non-compliances from your government program.  In the U.S. it is our USDA or FDA.
  2. a review of any Corrective Actions for the items listed in #1 above and their Investigations and Resolutions
  3. a review of Customer Complaints and their Resolutions 
  4. finally a Summary of the overall Review.  In the Summary they want wording that supports that your Food Safety and Quality Systems are working properly to ensure a high quality and safe product.

Basically I think in the reviews 1-3 they want you to ensure that while you may have had some issues that you have not consistently had the same issue with the same root cause.

Good Luck on your 1st Audit!

sangle

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 50 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:The Muny, fishing, working in my flowerbeds

Posted 10 September 2018 - 03:35 PM

Hello

Christina and Mulan1010, I have a question about your annual documentation review procedure.  Does it state in your procedure "who" is responsible for the review?  I understand you have documented this on your sheet that is attached to the documents but in the procedure itself does it specify? 

The reason why I am asking is because we are starting our review process but our procedure specifies that the management team will be responsible for the review.  This makes it more difficult because we have to set aside time as a group to do the review.  Is it possible to assign a group of documents to individuals on the team or must it be done as a group?

Thanks for your time.

Shanna

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 13 September 2018 - 04:11 PM

get rid of the team portion and leave it as vague as you can, something like, appropriately trained personnel.

Management should sign off on major changes, but otherwise keep it simple and relevant

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users