• Quick Navigation
Photo

Seafood HACCP Plan for Distribution Center (Refrigerated)

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Suzie B

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 47 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:27 PM

Does anyone have a HACCP plan for storing and shipping fresh, refrigerated oysters (shellfish) in a refrigerated/frozen distribution center?

We receive and store oysters in brine in our refrigerated storage.  Would I need a CCP for anything other than temperature?  Or does that fall under the allergen management program?  I'm trying to be thorough, but every time I think I need a plan, I start thinking it is more of an allergen management issue.

Help?

Slab

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 438 posts
  • 208 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading (history, science fiction), Photography, drawing,food safety, metrology, TQM, hoplology, etc.

Posted 20 April 2016 - 05:06 PM

Hi, suzieq;

You need to include the following CCPs or at a minimum demonstrate with hazard analysis that there is no significant hazard:

• Receiving (regulatory approval of harvest areas need to be verified)
  • Storage (pathogen formation/growth)
  • Processing (packing, shucking, possible hazard of glass and metal inclusion, possible hazard of pathogen formation/growth)
  • Allergens (hazard should be addressed with shippers cert tag and/or license #)

State and local water sanitation codes must also be applied to practices, as they are more likely to issue warnings and approvals for harvest closures/openings, etc.  

You mentioned that you cold-wet store shellfish. Is this a depuration process or simply storage? If depuration, is the water managed with aquaculture drugs? Nevertheless, water quality will have to be validated, verified, and monitored frequently.

As a shellfish processor I would recommend that you become very intimate with the following documents:

The whole shebang:

Attached File  FDA Hazards Guidance 4th edition.pdf   4.74MB   157 downloads

Attached File  NSSP 2013 Final September 28 2014_3.pdf   8.83MB   43 downloads

Relevant chapters:

Attached File  Chapter 4 Pathogens From the Harvest Area.pdf   2.12MB   40 downloads

Attached File  Chapter 6 Natural Toxins.pdf   1.98MB   36 downloads

Attached File  Chapter 9 Environmental Chemical Contaminants and Pesticides.pdf   2.03MB   34 downloads

Additionally:

Attached File  Appendix 3 Critical Control Point Decision Tree.pdf   1.94MB   52 downloads

An indispensable source for shellfish processors:

Interstate Shellfish Sanitation Conferance

Here are some old examples of shellfish HACCP I did pre 2011. I'm missing a CCP addressing both allergens and processing, but I can't keep everything archived...  :tongue:

Attached File  HACCPShellPG1.pdf   230.07KB   101 downloads

Attached File  HACCPShellPG2.pdf   226.48KB   86 downloads

It's been a few years since I have had to work with molluscan stock, but hopefully this will help you in the right direction.

Food Safety News  Marine Stewardship Council

"Some people freak out when they see small vertebra in their pasta" ~ Chef John

Thanked by 3 Members:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users