Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:56 AM

Dear all, I found Salmonella,sp. in my Boneless Leg product. Even though my company always do the best prevention to reduce microbial content. I am sure that the GMP procedure is always running well to every employee, equipment, and facility. To prevent microbial number, we use chlorine dilution 10 ppm. My question is, how should i do to reduce microbial number and to make salmonella,sp. cant find in our product? and what factor that influence my chicken carcass product from salmonella?

Thaks for everyone, i really need your help... :)

Slab

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 438 posts
  • 208 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading (history, science fiction), Photography, drawing,food safety, metrology, TQM, hoplology, etc.

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:05 AM

Dear all, I found Salmonella,sp. in my Boneless Leg product. Even though my company always do the best prevention to reduce microbial content. I am sure that the GMP procedure is always running well to every employee, equipment, and facility. To prevent microbial number, we use chlorine dilution 10 ppm. My question is, how should i do to reduce microbial number and to make salmonella,sp. cant find in our product? and what factor that influence my chicken carcass product from salmonella?

Thaks for everyone, i really need your help... :)

Hi, Khaterinaf;

What is your acceptable level of salmonella in raw product?

What is the intended use of your product?

Is there a chilling process prior to or after the kill step?

Have you validated your kill step?

Do you monitor for salmonella post cleaning?

Are you receiving live product or butchered primal cuts?

Has your company considered using PAA as an alternative kill step?

Sorry for so many questions, but I'm curious.  Also, here are some CA publications on the subject:

Attached File  Code of Hygienic Practice for Meat.pdf   380.14KB   22 downloads

Attached File  Controlling Campylobacter and Salmonella in Chicken.pdf   196.31KB   26 downloads

Attached File  Prevention Detection and Control of Salmonella in Poultry.pdf   43.79KB   29 downloads

Food Safety News  Marine Stewardship Council

"Some people freak out when they see small vertebra in their pasta" ~ Chef John

Thanked by 2 Members:

khaterinaf

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 22 April 2016 - 04:41 AM

Dear Slab, im very glad and thankfull to you to give me some publications. There are my acceptable level for some microbial level in chicken meat. Both Salmonella and campylobacter must be negatif. TPC max 1x10cfu/g, Both Coliform and S.aureus max 1x102  cfu/g, and E.coli max 1x101 cfu/g.

My product is the raw material for chicken nugget processing, sometimes we distribute cold fresh meat too. And ofcourse there are chilling prosses after killing, in this step we use cold water at 0 (zero) celcius degree and chlorine dilution 10 ppm at least 30 minutes. After that, we process that carcass to deboning step. 

We are receiving live chicken and i've validate the killing prosses. But i didnt monitor salmonella post cleaning yet. i just maintain my room process temperature and cleanliness hand, tool and equipment, because we did deboning process manually.

So, how? and this problem are same for coliform level case.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 22 April 2016 - 05:29 AM

Hi khaterinaf,

Afaik, Salmonella/other pathogens in chicken is a Global problem.

As detailed in  the attachments from Slab, the problem originates with the raw material.

Not my area of expertise but when I last looked, there were only a few countries in the world who claimed to consistently produce "Salmonella-free" product, notably in Scandinavian area.

I doubt that "perfect" hygiene and process chemicals can totally eliminate the problem in raw finished product but they can surely help to minimise it.

From memory, chicken eggs in UK are not regulatory required to be free of salmonella.The reason is reality, for example -

http://www.telegraph...0s-and-90s.html

Analogous problems in the US led to the introduction of the Pathogen Reduction program in the  late 1990s, eg -

http://www.fsis.usda...nd/bkbeyond.htm

How well you are doing relates to the scope / effectiveness of  yr HACCP Program and requires Process micro. data for assessment.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Wowie

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 56 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Anything outdoors, Reading, Backpacking, Traveling, Good Friends, Good Drinks, Good Music

Posted 22 April 2016 - 01:28 PM

I'm not familiar with India's regulations as far as antimicrobials go. I performed a very quick google search with no luck.  

What are the regulatory limits on your antimicrobials? Is 10 ppm the maximum allowed by your regulations, customer requirements, or countries you export to?

Do parts or carcasses go through additional sprays or dips, or are there any processing aids or ingredients added during to the boneless leg (injection, marination, etc)?

Having a zero tolerance on SLM and Campy is a very high goal to reach. With a boneless product, especially one like the leg which would have several cuts when being processed, the risk is even greater. Do you have a sanitary dip for your utensils if using knives/wizard knives? Typically, this would be performed at an interval determined by the food safety team and at a higher concentration than what your product antimicrobial levels are.

How often is there a break in the process, and during those breaks is a spray down being performed?

Do you have chlorine sprays on your evisceration equipment and/or your processing equipment post-chill?

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: salmonella, microbiology, positive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users