• IFSQN Member
  • 57 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:42 PM

Hello

Searched on here for a answer but did not find exactly what I was looking for.  Please feel free to direct me to the post if I missed it. 

My auditor is telling me someone needs to have HACCP certification for a GMP audit.  

We passed this last year with same auditor and certification was not required.

I have read on this forum that certification is not required but I am not going to argue with our auditor.

I am questioning the prices for online HACCP certification courses.  I have seen anywhere from $50.00 to over $1000.00.

Some of the cheaper course are not accredited so I understand the lower price but do not get the difference in the accredited ones that seem from the course outlines to offer the same thing.

The auditing company we use offers the course at one of the highest prices, but they do not seem to mind if I take it elsewhere.

Does anyone have any advice regarding this??   Suggestions of online course that they used??

I did notice there is a course right here but I believe it is for retail and we are not retail. Not sure if that would make a difference.

Thanks in advance for any help.

rebecca1981

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:58 PM

I recently did a bunch of research on HACCP courses and found this one to be reasonably priced and accredited by the International HACCP Alliance: http://nehahaccp.org/default.php

Good luck!

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 April 2016 - 05:07 AM

To write a HACCP plan, someone needs to be trained in your organisation or you should bring in a consultant who is (but the plan would remain your responsibility).  

With the fact that consultants are expensive and the upcoming changes with the FSMA, I would recommend that you would have someone trained in HACCP and also get some information about HARPC as the two are different but can be complementary.  If you only supply in the US you might only need to be trained in HARPC instead but as the rest of the world uses HACCP (and IMO HARPC alone has it's issues), I do recommend you do both.

Not sure how it compares in the US but for an experienced HACCP consultant, I would expect to pay £400 a day.  Level 3 HACCP at a food research organisation we belong to would cost us £680 so it's a bit of a no brainer that getting the qualification makes more sense and that is face to face training.  If you have no experience of HACCP at all, then I'd start with Level 2 (or whatever the equivalent is in the US).  In the UK it goes up to Level 4 but I've not seen a retailer yet demand that you have to have level 4, I think all the UK retailers demand Level 3 or "a two day course in HACCP".

If you can I would reconsider doing it online.  Yes it can be cost efficient but you miss out on the question and answer side which is what really helps understanding.  I would see if you can get on a face to face course.

scoot915

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 57 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 April 2016 - 02:29 PM

To write a HACCP plan, someone needs to be trained in your organisation or you should bring in a consultant who is (but the plan would remain your responsibility).  

With the fact that consultants are expensive and the upcoming changes with the FSMA, I would recommend that you would have someone trained in HACCP and also get some information about HARPC as the two are different but can be complementary.  If you only supply in the US you might only need to be trained in HARPC instead but as the rest of the world uses HACCP (and IMO HARPC alone has it's issues), I do recommend you do both.

Not sure how it compares in the US but for an experienced HACCP consultant, I would expect to pay £400 a day.  Level 3 HACCP at a food research organisation we belong to would cost us £680 so it's a bit of a no brainer that getting the qualification makes more sense and that is face to face training.  If you have no experience of HACCP at all, then I'd start with Level 2 (or whatever the equivalent is in the US).  In the UK it goes up to Level 4 but I've not seen a retailer yet demand that you have to have level 4, I think all the UK retailers demand Level 3 or "a two day course in HACCP".

If you can I would reconsider doing it online.  Yes it can be cost efficient but you miss out on the question and answer side which is what really helps understanding.  I would see if you can get on a face to face course.

Thank you for answering.

I wrote our HACCP plan last year without a consultant but with MUCH help from this forum.  We passed a GMP audit, not sure what level that would be equivalent to...guessing level 1?

Although I did not use a consultant I agree that is the best way to go, it would have saved me hours of time and stress.

This year they are saying someone needs to be HACCP certified, hence taking the course.

Again I agree with you, I would rather take a face to face course but time & money restraints are preventing that at this time.  I think (hope?) a online course will be sufficient for the GMP audit but if we go for a higher level I hope to take a face to face class.

It was explained to me that as a small business we do not need HARPC until September of 2017.  So I am doing some research on it now but will not focus on a course or consultant until later in the year.

Thanks again for your helpful answer.

scoot915

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 57 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 April 2016 - 02:51 PM

I recently did a bunch of research on HACCP courses and found this one to be reasonably priced and accredited by the International HACCP Alliance: http://nehahaccp.org/default.php

Good luck!

Thanks for this.    Did you take the course and if so what did you think of it?

QAGB

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 685 posts
  • 262 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 27 April 2016 - 04:01 PM

Hi Scoot915,

I actually took that course a couple of years ago. I did the online course because of time constraints; and I couldn't find a classroom based HACCP course in my area at that particular time (I needed to work on the HACCP plan ASAP).

It wasn't too difficult, and it was nice to be able to work at my own pace. From what I recall, there was a lot of focus on pathogens, which was very interesting and had lots of useful information.

My auditors seem to be pleased with my certification, so it's definitely worth doing.

QAGB

rebecca1981

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:25 PM

Scott915, I am currently taking it, actually. I am not very far in yet, but so far it is a good experience with valuable information, and I like the way the course works. 

I am in the same boat as you are. I would prefer to do an in-person course, but there are none within driving distance, and we have limited resources for this. I think this type of online course is certainly better than nothing. 

Ken Bookmyer

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 50 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 July 2018 - 09:42 PM

No auditor can check every detail every audit it's just not possible in two days to do everything in depth. But the SQF code says;

2.1.2.5 The SQF practitioner shall:
i. Be employed by the site as a company employee on a full-time basis;
ii. Hold a position of responsibility in relation to the management of the site's SQF System;
iii. Have completed a HACCP training course;
iv. Be competent to implement and maintain HACCP based food safety plans; and
v. Have an understanding of the SQF Food Safety Code for Manufacturing and

It doesn't note that the course needs to be accredited by anyone. but I'd definitely go with one that was accredited. You'll get fewer questions. You aren't required to take any SQF practitioner course either. But it will probably save you headaches rereading and trying to understand the intent. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users