Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 18 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 May 2016 - 06:51 PM

Greetings -  Can anyone help me with information on a plant keeping retail pest sprays on site?   I cannot find information in BRC Section 4.14, Pest Control.  The spray is intended to be used in the office area only, and not in any food processing or storage areas.  We do have a pest control provider. 

kfurlong

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 23 May 2016 - 08:58 PM

As a minimum, I'd suggest ensure SDSs and product information are logged and up to date (explicitly part of standard)  - and you have controlled storage accountability/sign outs to ensure the products do not end up in the wrong place and are disposed of properly. Your GMP policy should indicate that such products are not allowed in GMP areas. A stray can of pesticide like wasp spray in the wrong place could be a very major finding.

Mulan1010

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 249 posts
  • 139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 May 2016 - 09:30 PM

We are under SQF but we had a similar situation.  We were having problems with in our Wastewater Treatment Area, which is in a separate area of the grounds over 100 meters from production facility.  We have to:

• provide documentation that the individuals who use the treatment were trained 
  • maintain a current inventory of the chemicals used
  • store it in a designated locked container (container is marked on pest control map).  
  • provide SDS and Specifications Sheet for chemical
  • ensure proper disposal of empty containers 

Thanked by 1 Member:

glendora

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 18 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 May 2016 - 09:44 PM

As a minimum, I'd suggest ensure SDSs and product information are logged and up to date (explicitly part of standard)  - and you have controlled storage accountability/sign outs to ensure the products do not end up in the wrong place and are disposed of properly. Your GMP policy should indicate that such products are not allowed in GMP areas. A stray can of pesticide like wasp spray in the wrong place could be a very major finding.

Very good ideas.  The office personnel are the ones who want to use the sprays.  We will add to GMP's and ensure a secure designated area.  

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users