ChristinaK

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 196 posts
  • 66 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Art, Games, Gardening, Costuming, Public Health, Composting (with the power of worms!)

Posted 28 June 2016 - 03:40 PM

Just a bit of an adventure to mention...

Last night my brother let me try out his VR headset, and it was an interesting experience, to say the least.

My advice for extremely nearsighted glasses wearers is to switch to contacts when using one! Hehe...I ended up getting a little motion sick from it all and had to lay down.

But it was very cool to watch all the shark videos Discovery Channel had! The shark cage experience without the potential danger. :-)

Has anyone else been able to try out a VR headset? Do you think this technology could be applied to the industry somehow? Maybe for in-depth training? A virtual video that shows the dangers of not following safety precautions? Hehe.

-Christina

-Christina

Spite can be a huge motivator for me to learn almost anything.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:11 AM

I think you may be ahead of the curve on using this technology for food safety training Christina. I’ve never tried a VR headset and as I wear glasses for both near and far I guess it would be pretty useless for me. I like the idea of a virtual and interactive environment where you can see the cause and effect of actions like handwashing, cleaning and sanitation etc.

Nice topic.

Thanks,

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

ChristinaK

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 196 posts
  • 66 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Art, Games, Gardening, Costuming, Public Health, Composting (with the power of worms!)

Posted 01 July 2016 - 08:27 PM

I think you may be ahead of the curve on using this technology for food safety training Christina. I’ve never tried a VR headset and as I wear glasses for both near and far I guess it would be pretty useless for me. I like the idea of a virtual and interactive environment where you can see the cause and effect of actions like handwashing, cleaning and sanitation etc.

Thank you, Simon! 

I had been talking with my brother (who also works in the food industry), and just thought that VR would be incredibly useful for training in the future. The only problem right now with the headsets is that unless you turn the front-facing camera on (turning the phone screen off), you can't see what your hands or feet are doing, so the technology would have to evolve a bit...maybe with motion sensors or something similar, before it could really become a valuable tool.

Maybe someday in the future it will come into possibility.

-Christina

Spite can be a huge motivator for me to learn almost anything.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users