• Quick Navigation
Photo

Supplier qualification SOP - no questionnaire or audit?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

EssentialFA

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 20 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 July 2016 - 06:03 PM

Hi everyone,

I am trying to write an SOP for my company for the qualification of suppliers (for raw materials and ingredients). I looked it up online and it seems most SOPs include a detailed questionnaire and/or an audit of the supplier's facility.

We are a small company and could definitely not afford to audit our suppliers.

How strong can a qualification procedure be without without an audit?

For the record, until now we are relying on collecting documents (organic cert, spec sheets, etc) and approving each ingredient prior to purchase with analyses, and testing again against our specs upon reception of the material.

I feel like our testing should go a long way in ensuring that each ingredient is safe/meets specs. We don't have a supplier questionnaire (we know that most of our suppliers have their own suppliers who possibly have their own suppliers... so I feel like asking them to detail their handling and QA practices might be a bit besides the point since they are mostly a warehouse with a lot of sales reps).

Thoughts?

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,822 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 21 July 2016 - 07:54 PM

You need to understand the origin and supply chain for your products.  If you cannot audit what can you do?  Get specifications, certificate of conformities, certificates of analysis, copies of GFSI certificates if they are certified or if not then an overview of their HACCP and Food Safety & Quality Management systems.  This is often done by way of a comprehensive questionnaire covering all elements of a FSQMS.  You must do what you can within reason to get the necessary assurances.

Regards,

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users