• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 July 2016 - 01:54 PM

Happy Friday Folks,

I'm looking for any scientific studies to help validate the safety of the bread and pastries we make at our bakery. The breads are designed to be sold within 48 hours of baking and eaten soon after. The pastries have a longer range, from 24 hours (croissants) to 14 days (shrink wrapped coffee cakes). We add no preservatives and our ingredient lists are pretty simple--four, water, salt, and starter for many of the breads.

I have found a few studies but most that I find are dealing with much longer shelf lives and bread packaged in plastic.

We do have Aw and pH testing for finished products but are looking for more robust validation especially for items like bread with a high Aw in the crumb, much lower Aw in the crust, that are fairly acid neutral.

Thanks,

Josh

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 22 July 2016 - 02:03 PM

Happy Friday Folks,

I'm looking for any scientific studies to help validate the safety of the bread and pastries we make at our bakery. The breads are designed to be sold within 48 hours of baking and eaten soon after. The pastries have a longer range, from 24 hours (croissants) to 14 days (shrink wrapped coffee cakes). We add no preservatives and our ingredient lists are pretty simple--four, water, salt, and starter for many of the breads.

I have found a few studies but most that I find are dealing with much longer shelf lives and bread packaged in plastic.

We do have Aw and pH testing for finished products but are looking for more robust validation especially for items like bread with a high Aw in the crumb, much lower Aw in the crust, that are fairly acid neutral.

Thanks,

Josh

Hi josh,

Not my area but i believe this was a classic Bakery response for validation inspired by FSMA.

http://foodfirst.aib...z99mvz57zb1p83i

But baking-people may have simpler suggestions.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bakeries, preventive control validatio, Kill step, shelf life

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users