• Quick Navigation
Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

How would you rate the food safety culture in your workplace?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Poll: How would you rate the food safety culture in your workplace? (362 member(s) have cast votes)

How would you rate the food safety culture in your workplace?

1. -3 (Appalling) (14 votes [3.87%])

Percentage of vote: 3.87%

2. -2 (28 votes [7.73%])

Percentage of vote: 7.73%

3. -1 (38 votes [10.50%])

Percentage of vote: 10.50%

4. Voted 0 (54 votes [14.92%])

Percentage of vote: 14.92%

5. +1 (119 votes [32.87%])

Percentage of vote: 32.87%

6. +2 (93 votes [25.69%])

Percentage of vote: 25.69%

7. +3 (Exceptional) (16 votes [4.42%])

Percentage of vote: 4.42%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 Imran Aslam

Imran Aslam

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 6 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Saudi Arabia
    Saudi Arabia
  • Location:https://www.google.com.sa/maps/place/2555+Ahmad+Almadani,+Al+Aziziyah+District,+Jeddah+23342%C2%A08150/@21.5543127,39.2067679,19z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x15c3d1b831511f3b:0xbe689d02b7594d40!8m2!3d21.5543127!4d39.2073151
  • Interests:Quality and food safety management system auditing, training,implementation and continual improvement.

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:44 AM

Good night Mr Simon

At moment I' not working (unfortunately!) but I think that a food safety culture is more than wear proper clothes or washing hands, it's all behavior and mind that must be educated from top (management) to ground floor (simple worker in production or farm).

Some time ago, I've found these interesting books, which I recommend to have some reading, they are very interesting.

Teresa Gonçalves

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing these books.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

#27 bcarballo

bcarballo

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Spain
    Spain

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:23 PM

I started to work five months ago in a meat products company. When I arrived all the registers, check lists and many staff was invented for the audits.

But not only that, the RRHH politics that are managed by the manager... established that the cheeper the better... so I found people who had no preparación in food safety or proper behavior in food industry. The quality department was in charge of a person who has no preparation for a quality department and everything was working by luck.

So I need to point -2 because of the lack of interest in food safety caused for the RRHH decisions.

#28 nosyajnerak14

nosyajnerak14

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Cambodia
    Cambodia

Posted 25 February 2017 - 03:09 AM

A strong commitment from the top management to the Quality / Food Safety plan implementation is the first and foremost requirement needed for a Quality / Food Safety plan to be effective. Budget wise a sound Quality /food safety plan implementation will increase your operation cost but at the same time it will improve your system by reducing your wastage/rejects and increasing your product competitiveness.

#29 IchBinGnade

IchBinGnade

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:14 AM

Hi Simon,

In our company, we are working on it on a slow but steady pace. It is a culture, thus, we need to ensure that all our employees fully understood and practice food safety culture. It is not learned and perfected overnight but must first be fully understood and accepted by everyone.

#30 Heidi_SQF

Heidi_SQF

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 16 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:23 PM

With our movement from our previous standard to SQF (GFSI based), it has provided us an opportunity and a platform to stress the importance of food safety in all facets of our business.  I still think we have a long way to go, but our personnel are better informed, better trained and ask better questions concerning the food safety of our parts. 

Our Management Team has been instrumental in helping me bring about a new "culture" of food safety in our workplace.  They are also interested in learning as much as they can about the day-to-day food safety requirements of our employees.  This is very encouraging for us moving forward. 

Although we are probably around a +0.5 - +1.0 right now, I do think we are headed in the right direction.

#31 nberzins

nberzins

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:06 PM

Good night Mr Simon

At moment I' not working (unfortunately!)  but I think that a food safety culture is more than wear proper clothes or washing hands, it's all behavior and mind that must be educated from top (management)  to ground floor (simple worker in production or farm).

Some time ago, I've found these interesting books, which I recommend to have some reading, they are very interesting.

Teresa Gonçalves

As a new company, we strive everyday to help a team learn and abide by good food safety techniques. These will really help promote a better understanding  for the team.

A huge thank you

#32 evied1062

evied1062

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 June 2017 - 04:00 PM

We have just started out on our Food Safety System, generally the staff understand that we need to produce a safe product, however we produce Salt so there is very little chance of bacterial contamination and as it has no best before date, I think staff become a little complacent. In the process of setting up SOP's but hopefully the staff will get that we still need to follow rules to keep the product safe :happydance:

#33 Quality Ben

Quality Ben

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 70 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Music, Travelling, Coen Brothers, Orange, Retro Gaming, My Wife, Food, Fishing, Family, Cold Beer & Room Temperature Single Malt, Friends, My Job, Buying things from eBay that I don't need, Banjo, Guitar, My Cat, Photography.

Posted 18 June 2017 - 01:06 PM

That's something I just can't get my head around with new employees. New permanent ones should be looking to make an impression and agency ones should be doing everything they can to encourage us to keep them as long as is possible but instead its the new ones that get out of their vans and gob on the floor or avoid wearing hairnets etc. At least the longer-term employees can put their negative traits down to complacency!

Problem is without the powers from above disciplining- or even leading by example half the time- members of staff then QA don't have a chance. I myself run a two-man department (the number two is currently learning the job and we're still moulding him to think like a technical person) and we can't spend all day chasing people to wear hairnets and wash their hands.

If anyone knows a way to present a case for a change of culture or a way of suggesting it to the top then please help!!

Best advice I can give is CONQ - you need to monitise the cost of non conformance Andy.

Boil the Food Safety stuff down to core essence and put a cost on things. You need to get it coming from the top down.

Once you get some buy in then you just keep the momentum going....show that QA / Food Safety can save money. One step back / two step forward thinking.

Another useful tactic.....give them a scare! (use this tactic cautiously and wisely...you may only get one shot....)  :secret:  :shutup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users