• Quick Navigation
Photo

How to ensure water from a well is potable?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Esther

• IFSQN Member
  • 232 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• Spain
    Spain
  • Interests:Local and international food law; food industrial processes; food safety management systems;GMP; lean manufacturing; share knowledge

Posted 25 August 2016 - 08:25 PM

Hello all

I wonder if any of the Food companies where you are working on is using water (in the food production) area coming from a natural underground water well. If so, I would like to ask what kind of monitoring measures or procedures have been established to ensure that water is potable. This is, what measures  the officials are asking for in this regard?

I guess this situation is different from the bottling of natural mineral water.

Thank in advance to all you.

Best regards

WowQC

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 60 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 25 August 2016 - 08:44 PM

Hello Esther,

Our water is from a private well on site. We test it quarterly at the local public health unit to ensure it is meeting potable water standards. We have it tested annually by a third party lab for chemical analysis (such as lead, mercury, etc.). In order to catch anything before it becomes an issue, we also test in house on a weekly basis using our total plate count micro swabs.

My suggestion is to check with your local public health unit to find out the drinking water requirements and standards for private residence and public buildings. Put testing in place to show compliance. Have corrective actions ready for any non-conformances.

Whatever testing you do, be sure to record results for trending. Auditors want to see this!

WowQC

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 25 August 2016 - 10:52 PM

Hi Esther,

I assume the location is in Spain.

I agree with the previous post but slightly ++. From my experience (not EC) there can be at least 3 Depatments involved with the well's usage -

(1) A local official department (D1) is specifically assigned to initially authorise wells as potential drinking water/allied  sources. They do basic micro-chemical -physical testing similar to previous post although somewhat expanded. If acceptable, responsibility for further testing is passed on to a Department (D2) associated with the intended use of any finished product.

(2) If food is involved, afaik Spain is a member of EC. The EC has issued a (highly) comprehensive BCP document covering sampling/analysis for potable water to be used in food-related situations (attached on this forum in various places). Unless Spain has it's own internal list (eg via Public Health Section) which is feasible, the EC list looks a logical choice. Department D2 either themselves or via a contracted Service Company analyse for compliance to the (likely) several pages of items listed. .

(3) I anticipate that various filtration/waste treatment systems will be involved. IMEX this can involve an additional Department (D3) who are particularly responsible for effluent control (eg BOD) but also become unavoidably concerned with the initial treatment materials/any associated chemicals.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Leila Burin

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 154 posts
  • 45 thanks
Excellent

• Spain
    Spain

Posted 01 September 2016 - 03:34 PM

Attached File  agua RD 314.2016_Modifica 140.2003.pdf   471.23KB   12 downloads

Hello Esther!

check the new Spain regulation to control water,

best regards,

Leila

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 September 2016 - 09:11 PM

attachicon.gifagua RD 314.2016_Modifica 140.2003.pdf

Hello Esther!

check the new Spain regulation to control water,

best regards,

Leila

Hi Leila,

Sadly, 21 Pgs of Spanish !

Interesting to see, I think, a collection of radiological requirements !

Does a translation exist anywhere ?

But thanks anyway. :thumbup:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users