Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 August 2016 - 03:53 AM

One of the most common types of mistakes/errors that I've seen in the industry is simply forgetting to fill out a blank on a form or record.

Nothing is worse than doing record review and finding that someone has left something important blank which will be required to release product. One example we have is forgetting to initial that an important ingredient was added in a batching/mixing record (secondary verification). 

I've seen reference to mistake-proof records in the past. Obviously there is no perfect solution, but what ideas for formatting and process have others had success with to reduce mistakes and blanks on forms and records?

BrummyJim

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 329 posts
  • 117 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Motorbike gone now. Only the dog to walk!

Posted 31 August 2016 - 07:52 AM

Hi usstinej,

It's a standard problem; more than common, and inevitable when records need to be completed. People do not see the record as equally important to completing the production.

I would suggest requiring a countersignature for essential parts of the record and also to mark it as complete. That way someone else reviews it and checks for completion while the product is still "live". It's not reasonable to rely on someone's memory after the event.

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 31 August 2016 - 08:31 AM

Supervisors, forepersons, lead people, whatever you call them should be routinely checking paperwork for completion, accuracy and legibility as part of their "job" in supervising the line.

Marshall

Kelly S

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 96 posts
  • 36 thanks
Good

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Sci Fi Geek, Book Lover, Chef-in-my-own-kitchen, Eclectic Music Collector

Posted 31 August 2016 - 11:06 PM

Supervisors, forepersons, lead people, whatever you call them should be routinely checking paperwork for completion, accuracy and legibility as part of their "job" in supervising the line.

Marshall

Exactly this. When I was factory based I always did a walk through every hour (you could push it out to 2) just to review paperwork and glance over the area. Another tactic is to take a highlighter with you and highlight anything missing then asking the person to fix it. They start to dread the yellow highlighter  :cool:

“Will this be on the test?" "Yeah, about the test. The test will measure whether you are an informed, engaged, and productive citizen of the world, and it will take place in schools and bars and hospitals and dorm rooms and in places of worship. You will be tested on first dates, in job interviews, while watching football, and while scrolling through your Twitter feed. The test will judge your ability to think about things other than celebrity marriages, whether you’ll be easily persuaded by empty political rhetoric, and whether you’ll be able to place your life and your community in a broader context. The test will last your entire life, and it will be comprised of the millions of decisions, that when taken together, make your life yours. And everything — EVERYTHING — will be on it.”

-  John Green

redfox

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 481 posts
  • 163 thanks
Excellent

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 01 September 2016 - 01:29 AM

Hello everyone,

IMO, continuous training is necessary to minimize lapses on the part of operatives or even the higher ranks. The IFSQN webinar about behavioral food safety is a good material to be cascaded to the staff and operatives. It really works on our site. Improvement to our people in very noticeable after we cascaded the webinar.

regards,

redfox

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users