• Quick Navigation
Photo

Calculating percent (%) DV (daily value) for protein?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic
- - - - -

omgdudette

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:03 PM

Hi All,

Does anybody have advice on calculating %DV for protein (for a protein claim)?

I know this much:

%DV is protein grams/16 *100

To calculate protein grams = protein per servings x PDCAAS

PDCAAS = a.a score x recipe protein digestibility. 

a.a score is found on genesis so I don't have to worry about it

recipe protein digestibility = addition of all protein digestibility of ingredients x % of these ingredients.

I can't find the comprehensive list of protein digestibility of ingredients. 

I looked at "Protein Quality Evaluation", FAO, Rome 1990 but it only list select food items (no chicken or pork found in this report which is a common food ingredient).

If anyone has any advice, it is much appreciated.

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 September 2016 - 08:24 PM

1. Not sure where you got your protein %DV calculatin from. Both FDA and USDA use 50g as the daily value for protein (for a 2000 Cal diet). So your calculation would be 

(g protein per serving)/50*100

2. I always considered meat to have a digestibility score of 100%, since animal proteins all ride up there and the ultimate impact on your protein calculation is minimal (in mixed protein products). But if you want to be more precise, I would use the beef score from the report you referenced, or round down for safety. Your product is either going to meet the claim requirements for "high" or whatever you want, or it isn't. Build in a buffer on your labeling so that on analytical testing you'll hit the mark. Single proximate testing isn't expensive, have it done on a sample of your product if you're making claims.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

mmn1994

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 March 2024 - 04:11 PM

1. Not sure where you got your protein %DV calculatin from. Both FDA and USDA use 50g as the daily value for protein (for a 2000 Cal diet). So your calculation would be 

(g protein per serving)/50*100

2. I always considered meat to have a digestibility score of 100%, since animal proteins all ride up there and the ultimate impact on your protein calculation is minimal (in mixed protein products). But if you want to be more precise, I would use the beef score from the report you referenced, or round down for safety. Your product is either going to meet the claim requirements for "high" or whatever you want, or it isn't. Build in a buffer on your labeling so that on analytical testing you'll hit the mark. Single proximate testing isn't expensive, have it done on a sample of your product if you're making claims.

I know this is an old post, I found it on the search feature because I'm working on a similar project at my facility. Do you have any recommended sources for where to have testing performed? Located in USA 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users