• 166 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 September 2016 - 09:26 AM

Hi

Please offer your advise please.

We are a BRC factory who are currently purchasing food contact packaging from BRC packaging suppliers, however my issue is that the packaging is being bought by a middle man storage with no controls in place then we are purchasing from them.

To me that is pointless as the middle man has no controls in place to keep our packaging safe.

If I am reading this correctly BRC does not mention about middle man storage, although section 3.5.1.2 does state supplier approval brc etc so to me as this storage can not offer this I should try and stop the site buying from the middle man

Thanks

Gerard H.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 411 posts
  • 131 thanks
Excellent

• France
    France

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:11 PM

Dear Aps,

Your middle man can be considered as your supplier, as your company is buying from this party, as described.

So he needs to implement certain measures to guarantee that there is no degradation of the BRC status (in the largest sense) from the packaging material.

Kind regards,

Gerard Heerkens

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 18 September 2016 - 06:49 PM

He is classed as an agent or broker and there is a BRC standard for that scope of supplier.

In that standard will be the expected standards.

Regards,

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 22 September 2016 - 05:52 AM

Hi Aps,

As we are talking about food contact packaging there seems to be significant risk, the 'middle man' site/business should have a third-party certification incorporating product safety, such as the BRC Global Standard for Agents and Brokers or have a successful site audit completed by an appropriately experienced and competent auditor.

Kind regards,

Tony

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users