• Quick Navigation
Photo

Alternative to chain mail gloves for meat cutting?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic
- - - - -

sawmya

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 26 September 2016 - 05:44 AM

Hi

I am working in a catering company as QHSE.We had a practice of using chain mill gloves while using meat cutting machine.Recently i came to know that it is not recommended to use .If any one have idea related to it please feel free to share the best alternative solution for replacement of chain mill gloves

Regards

Sawmya

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 26 September 2016 - 03:35 PM

There are knitted kevlar thread options of gloves out there, we have some that come past the wrist and some that stop at the wrist. Ours come from a manufacture called Superior Glove in Canada, but I'm sure there are lots of others. All of ours are approved for direct food contact. They come in different weights so make sure you get the one best suited for the task

I assume not recommended due to getting caught in the machine?

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 26 September 2016 - 05:36 PM

There are knitted kevlar thread options of gloves out there, we have some that come past the wrist and some that stop at the wrist. Ours come from a manufacture called Superior Glove in Canada, but I'm sure there are lots of others. All of ours are approved for direct food contact. They come in different weights so make sure you get the one best suited for the task

I assume not recommended due to getting caught in the machine?

Hi scampi,

In cutting fish blocks, the worst case scenario is that chain mail gloves can be dragged into the machine as well. Kevlar option is new to me so I don't know if it solves this problem.

Due known incidents I believe it is not unusual to see a user preference for no gloves. Nonetheless the result is a fearsome operation to observe.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 26 September 2016 - 05:54 PM

The new Kevlar knitted gloves look just like a cotton mitt that you would see freezer employees using to handle cases of frozen product, but they come up to 3000 lbs /sq inch of pressure before the glove will be cut.

We use scalpels in our operations so gloves are worn by those employees.

Best thing anyone can do, is have a sales rep come to the establishment so that you are certain you've got the right glove for the job....plus you may get a freebie in the process

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Lori

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:28 PM

The kevlar glove are great...much more comfortable and cleanable than the chain linl.

Lori

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:28 PM

The kevlar glove are great...much more comfortable and cleanable than the chain link.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users