• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 October 2016 - 01:57 PM

Hey all.

We are pursuing purchasing a metal detector.  Does anyone have any recommended metal detector suppliers in the Michigan (Midwest USA)? Or any location in the U.S for that matter.  First time purchasing a unit - any help would be greatly appreciated!

25 wide x 20 height size range.

Mark

Eric G

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 21 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 13 October 2016 - 03:29 PM

Hi Mark, 

For clarity sake, I'll start by letting you know that I do in fact work for Fortress Technology metal detectors.  So, of course i do recommend our brand and yes, I know this post will be perceived as biased.  We have built our brand on keeping the end user needs in mind by building equipment that is extremely reliable, simple to operate and provide we excellent support.  

Furthermore, the best unbiased advice that I can give you is;  Whichever brand you decide to go with, just make sure it is a reputable brand that you will be able to easily get support/parts for (including annual or more frequent certification), now and into the foreseeable future. Without good support you may be dead in the water if you run into issues. Especially true if this is a CCP.  

Regards,

Eric

Edited by Simon, 13 October 2016 - 05:21 PM.
Removed web link

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 13 October 2016 - 05:26 PM

Mettler Toledo are world leaders in the field.

They have several options in their Safeline Metal Detection Systems range for specific applications.

Regards,

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

ebb30

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 81 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:47 PM

What type of product do you need it for? We have a metal detector on a line where dough goes through, and anything small such as a little bit more or less oil can throw the metal detector off. We ended up getting an X-ray instead because that catches any metal 100% of the time plus we get to X-ray the product once it is completely sealed up. However, we have another line where we use a metal detector for dough that is much more consistent packaged into boxes. There we have no issues. We use ThermoFisher, and their customer service is very good. 

MuffinMan

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 October 2016 - 06:37 PM

CEIA, Fortress and Mettler Toledo are the top three I would recommend.

QM_AUS

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 22 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 18 October 2016 - 03:02 AM

We use Mettler Toledo Safeline and it great.

Please be mindful that the type of packaging used make a huge impact on the performance of metal detector.

Safeline is top of the range but because we have pouches with metalized films sometimes we have never ending issues with false detection resulting due to variation in amount of metal in the pouches.

Hope this helps.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 18 October 2016 - 03:25 AM

Always like Loma, but don't see them that much anymore.  We normally recommend Mettler Toledo Safeline and also Fortress to our clients.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

mzenas

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 October 2016 - 02:31 PM

Thanks everyone.  I have been in contact with Mettler Toledo and should be receiving a quote any time now.

We plan to use it for 20W X 20H corrugate boxes with thermoformed food packaging trays, clamshells, etc. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users