• IFSQN Member
  • 67 posts
  • 37 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 October 2016 - 04:04 PM

Hi All, 

Due to the limited size of my shipments, we use 100% LTL or contracted carriers. Our current procedures have satisfied BRC Certification audit, but there are clear weaknesses in our process.

Mainly liability and risk to the product during shipping. I'm trying to develop a contract for the short distance or one time carriers.

Does anyone have any recommendations or examples of contracts used for transporting direct food contact packaging?

Currently our statement is located on the Bill of Lading which the driver must sign prior to leaving our facility. 

"Dry, Cleaned Truck. Truck must be free of odor, damage and moisture. No refrigerated trucks. Padlock at time of delivery."

Of course, prior to loading the truck we inspect. Also, the customer is expected to inspect the product upon receiving.

Thank you for your help!

Dn

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 26 October 2016 - 05:00 PM

We use LTL to ship our finished goods....how on earth did you find a carrier who's willing to padlock the trailer for you? CFIA originally wanted us to send our loads on a sealed trailer....you cannot do that with LTL

Are they guaranteeing that your skid is first off the truck?  Are you using HACCP certified carriers? 

Monitoring Standards:

• Carriers designed, constructed, maintained, cleaned to prevent contamination, damage and deterioration of meat/ingredient/packaging products;
  • Monitoring Instructions: Carriers of packaging materials and non-food chemical agents:

Shipper/Receiver employee visually inspects condition of trucks to ensure the following standards are met:

§  Constructed of materials that does not create contamination, such as deteriorating materials, broken or damaged or exposed insulation and/or holes in the walls;

• Doors have adequate seals to minimize potential for dust / dirt entering carrier during transport
    • Trucks show no evidence of being used to transport animals, no evidence of pests or substances that may contaminate the packaging materials or Non-food chemical agents

Carriers are not being used for the transport of any material or substance that might adulterate the food product.

Doors must seal completely so that dust from travelling cannot enter

Perhaps include those points in your contact and you should be covered

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

DN_QAMGR

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 67 posts
  • 37 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 October 2016 - 05:08 PM

You are right, Padlocks are a stretch. It was a company policy before my time, but I do not see this happening most of the time. 

HACCP certified carriers? I did not know they exist. Let me ask my friend Google and see if there are available in the US. 

They are actually transporting many different loads, which I'm hoping with a contract will prevent any non-food grade chemicals, animals or other concerns from being shipped or commingling with my product. 

Thank you for all the information, I'm will be adding your points to my agreement. 

Thanks for responding. 

CMHeywood

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 119 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 October 2016 - 07:47 PM

Locked vs Sealed are different.  The lock can be opened by a key that only the driver and the trucking firm should have.  A seal should have a unique number and has to be cut off to put a new one on.  Thus, you are changing seals and the last seal will not match the first seal number that is listed on the paperwork.

nbobrowicz

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 November 2016 - 02:44 PM

Ask your carrier(s) if they are aware of and comply with the FSMA Final Rule on Sanitary Transportation of Human and Animal Food.

http://www.fda.gov/F...A/ucm383763.htm

Since food contact packaging is considered part of the food chain, your carrier(s) should be aware that the materials they transport for you are to be managed in the same way as food, even for LTL. We asked our carriers what methods they have in place to ensure food safety and we have their responses on file. Also perform the truck inspections each shipment/delivery. We only seal full load trailers.

CMHeywood

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 119 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 November 2016 - 03:38 PM

The common opinion:  Food contact packaging is part of the food chain and should be subject to all the same regulations and requirements as food.

However, for the most part, the FSMA does not include packaging at this time except for FSVP (foreign supplier verification program).  The obligations for FSVP for food contact packaging have been put on hold for 2 years pending further review by the FDA.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users