• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 29 October 2016 - 08:22 AM

Good day!

Since I was new here in forum, hello to everyone!

Would like to ask something regarding what I have observe in soy sauce having an calamansi extract that was undergone an extension of its shelf-life for 2years, but originally it is advisable for 18 months. What is the possible cause of its foul odor? Since its microbial load for coliform / E.coli, halophilic yeast count, yeast and molds have no count. As well as its chemical characteristics such pH and salinity doesn't change that big. Its pH from the initial testing is 3.42 down to 3.11 on its 24th month. Salinity on its initial is 14.5 and became 15.5 on its 24th month.

Thank you for your help and response. 

Have a great day!

Regards,

Chacha

redfox

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 481 posts
  • 163 thanks
Excellent

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 29 October 2016 - 11:22 AM

hello chacha,

Is this product pasteurized?

regards,

redfox

Thanked by 1 Member:

AS NUR

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 582 posts
  • 60 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 08 November 2016 - 04:37 AM

Good day!

Since I was new here in forum, hello to everyone!

Would like to ask something regarding what I have observe in soy sauce having an calamansi extract that was undergone an extension of its shelf-life for 2years, but originally it is advisable for 18 months. What is the possible cause of its foul odor? Since its microbial load for coliform / E.coli, halophilic yeast count, yeast and molds have no count. As well as its chemical characteristics such pH and salinity doesn't change that big. Its pH from the initial testing is 3.42 down to 3.11 on its 24th month. Salinity on its initial is 14.5 and became 15.5 on its 24th month.

Thank you for your help and response. 

Have a great day!

Regards,

Chacha

dear Chacha..

i guess the foul odor come from fermented process... to check this guess i suggestion to check alcohol content during storage until several month, may be the frequency are 0, 3, 6, 9, 12....month.. or you can analyse sacharomyses or other micro that fermentation happen.

Rgds

AS Nur

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 08 November 2016 - 05:07 AM

Hi Chacha,

I deduce the product you refer has now been stored for 24 months. I also deduce it was Ok at 18 months.

Perhaps the original procedure for shelf life estimation was more appropriate/realistic ?.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Chacha

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 11 November 2016 - 04:38 AM

Hi Redfox,

Yes. This product was pasteurized using PHE. I can not explain or describe its odor in details. But it smells like an over ripe guava.

Hi As Nur,

They used hydrolyzed protein extract. You mean that there is a tendency that calamansi extract may somehow contributes to the growth of saccharomyces?

Hi Charles C.

Thank you sir. 

AS NUR

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 582 posts
  • 60 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 11 November 2016 - 07:19 AM

Hi As Nur,

They used hydrolyzed protein extract. You mean that there is a tendency that calamansi extract may somehow contributes to the growth of saccharomyces?

Dear Chacha...

Based on your explain, the odour came from  protein degradation.. yes protein extract contribute to the micro growth including saccharomyces,, but you have to check first the micro content on your fresh and age product.

Rgds

AS Nur

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users