• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 07 November 2016 - 05:52 PM

Good Morning all, 

In the company I work for, we are preparing to seek SQF certification.  In the last couple of months we have been working in updating procedures and all documentation.

Recently the Plant Manager who is also our COO, asked that he need to have a policy that will says he will approve any product discard.  On the quality department we are concerned he wants to do this to have control over what can be rejected and what can be still used.

I am wondering if I can find any where in writing as part of food safety or SQF that this kind of decisions belongs to the Quality Manager / or Food Safety Manager, since the fact that a person from production will have conflict of interest in making this kind of decisions.

Thank you very much in advance, 

Marcela

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 07 November 2016 - 09:44 PM

Good Morning all, 

In the company I work for, we are preparing to seek SQF certification.  In the last couple of months we have been working in updating procedures and all documentation.

Recently the Plant Manager who is also our COO, asked that he need to have a policy that will says he will approve any product discard.  On the quality department we are concerned he wants to do this to have control over what can be rejected and what can be still used.

I am wondering if I can find any where in writing as part of food safety or SQF that this kind of decisions belongs to the Quality Manager / or Food Safety Manager, since the fact that a person from production will have conflict of interest in making this kind of decisions.

Thank you very much in advance, 

Marcela

Hi Marcela,

This should relate to your job description / Organisational Chart hierarchy, ie who do you report to ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

QM_AUS

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 22 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 09 November 2016 - 06:37 AM

Hi Marcela,

If I am at your place I wouldn't bother who is authorized to discard.
Quality department has made their decision that product is not suitable for use and if anyone wants to use it they need to sign the document saying that they are releasing the product.
From this stage onwards onus goes back to releasing person for any non-conformances resulting from this release.

It could be he wants to control inventory, reduce wastage and improve supply chain quality.

Hope this helps.

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Non-conforming product, Management responsibility, QA / QC responsibility, Conflict of interest, Quality department, Corrective Actions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users