Grade - Active

• 9 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 12 November 2016 - 05:32 PM

Hi

I work in a food service bakery in Scotland and I'm a QA (also do some Food Safety Document updating, editing etc), with an eye on a compliance role! 

There are 3 QAs at the moment for each shift, and it seems some don't always use common sense or their own initiative while carrying out the daily GMP audit, sometimes using it like a checklist while standing in the one spot...

Does anyone have an example of an SOP for a GMP audit or something similar?

Or even some guidance, advice or help with how to go about it and what to include?

I'd appreciate whatever you can offer!

Shelley

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 13 November 2016 - 04:15 AM

Hi Shelley,

One initial query - is this related to any particular FS Standard ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

shelleyqa

Grade - Active

• 9 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 November 2016 - 04:43 AM

Hi Shelley,

One initial query - is this related to any particular FS Standard ?

Well I suppose it is yes, we are BRC certified (AA rating). 

The main reason for the SOP etc and the GMP process being looked at is a difference of performance (QA's) over different shifts. Maybe its effort/interest/opinion based issues but the procedure has to be laid out to ensure all know the correct method.

We had an unannounced GMP audit from our parent companies Technical Director recently which has all our site departmental managers in a spin...even although all the issues have been highlighted (mostly by me) for months now through GMP daily audits, internal audits, reports, corrective actions issued etc!!

I should issue all managers with non-conformance for not actioning the solutions when I suggested them!

Thanks

shelleyqa

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 13 November 2016 - 05:26 AM

Hi Shelley,

Thks for the details. Yr scenario is sadly an only too familiar cry.

IMEX gmp audits are usually implemented around a checklist which will presumably in yr case be further dictated by BRCs requirements as tailored to yr own process. I assume (hope) yr Tech.Dr. utilized a comparable basis for their audit.

Examples of generic BRC lists exist here but I assume you hv this already ?. I deduce from yr OP that the difficulty relates to differences over its implementation. But is this due to the list itself or failure to understand its requirements ?

It may assist to get relevant replies if you can post an example of yr present checklist or if this not possible maybe clarify what kinds of aspects are creating the problems ?

If you only want a link to BRC example checklists can oblige also. :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 November 2016 - 03:56 PM

Honestly, I keep my internal audit SOP vague so that I can focus on different things each month. When I managed my auditors, we focused on a different requirement each week, and in an external audit situation I would demonstrate efficacy based on the findings, not on the checklist. It's an easy sell to show how you find and improve things each month, rather than just check them off as "good".

Of course, if they find a bunch of stuff during your audit, they'll probably disagree. :)

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gmp, brc, audit, s.o.p.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users