• Quick Navigation
Photo

Who should validate suppliers or vendors?

Share this

Best Answer , 21 November 2016 - 05:39 AM

Hello,

Procurement Dept is more on suppliers relationship, pricing and competitors activities monitoring. Though it also oversees the quality of the raw materials being purchased, still QA/QC will check the quality of raw materials the PD delivered to the site.

regards,

redfox

Hi redfox,

From Post2 I deduce that from a quality POV, your QA authorises  whether a Supplier may be placed on the Approved Supplier's List before starting  a routine supply? ie similar to post7.

It is not unknown IMEX of some Companies for the Managing Director to have the final vote. Where the "buck" literally stops. :smile:

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Abdulla.khan

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 November 2016 - 12:08 AM

Hi all, 

I have this question about who in the company should qualify or verify that a vendor/supplier is qualified to supply a product? I mean is it the QA department or R&D department? I'm asking this because in my company R&D personnel will get in contact with the supplier for ingredients and documentation.

Thank you

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 November 2016 - 12:43 AM

Depends on the size of your company. I've been places where the procurement department said R&D could only source from existing suppliers unless it couldn't be sourced from them.

Ultimately, try to break apart your supplier approvals by company goals. Food safety is obviously a priority goal, but so is shipping, sourcing locally, and other contract terms.

In QA vs. R&D, let R&D do their thing, just ask to be involved. They can source what they want, and if they keep you in the loop, you can head off quality concerns in process rather than throw on the brakes at the end "okay, eggs are fine, but if you're not going to cook them you need a supplier who will pasteurize". You're ultimately going to be responsible for ongoing supplier approval for the life of the product, so make sure you involve yourself early even if you don't want to take on an R&D task.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Thanked by 1 Member:

redfox

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 481 posts
  • 163 thanks
Excellent

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 18 November 2016 - 01:53 AM

Hello,

In our case, Procurement dept has to source out raw material equipped with field qc personnel. Suppliers can't be approved without our Head QC/QA approval.

regards,

rdfox

Thanked by 1 Member:

BrummyJim

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 329 posts
  • 117 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Motorbike gone now. Only the dog to walk!

Posted 18 November 2016 - 08:53 AM

I would support the two posts above. I am responsible for approving suppliers in our company. I work with our R&D, factory and purchasing teams to identify approvable suppliers, so when the crunch comes, I'm ready. We have 4 basic categories; raw materials, logistics, packaging and maintenance with defined requirements. That way no-one is surprised when I say no.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Abdulla.khan

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 November 2016 - 08:33 PM

Thank you for all your comments, I'm actually in R&D, so now I know different perspectives and I feel R&D and QA both should be involved.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 19 November 2016 - 07:42 AM

It's a variation of the age-old question which re-surfaces after every customer complaint - "Who is responsible for the Quality of the Finished Product ?" Usually a contest between Production and QA. One textbook answer is "Quality is Everybody's Business" . So a claim should be shared equally ?

In the present case it might also hv been interesting to know the answers to questions like (a) what criteria are used to "Approve a Supplier" ? eg Capability to supply X tons per Month ? (b) Who signs off for the Approved Suppliers List in the FS  Standard ? (assuming such certification exists).

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,666 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 20 November 2016 - 05:50 PM

Having just witnessed a roaring fight between a Director of Procurement and a QA department over who should be responsible for vetting and re-vetting suppliers it all came down to responsibility, as it is at all of our clients - QA won out because procurement didn't want the end responsibility. That doesn't mean that Procurement doesn't a role in qualifying a supplier, they are just not the one that does the final QA checks. Most companies we know have three departments involved in vetting/approval process and two in re-vetting.  Works out well.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

redfox

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 481 posts
  • 163 thanks
Excellent

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 21 November 2016 - 02:25 AM

Hello,

Procurement Dept is more on suppliers relationship, pricing and competitors activities monitoring. Though it also oversees the quality of the raw materials being purchased, still QA/QC will check the quality of raw materials the PD delivered to the site.

regards,

redfox

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 21 November 2016 - 05:39 AM   Best Answer

Hello,

regards,

redfox

Hi redfox,

From Post2 I deduce that from a quality POV, your QA authorises  whether a Supplier may be placed on the Approved Supplier's List before starting  a routine supply? ie similar to post7.

It is not unknown IMEX of some Companies for the Managing Director to have the final vote. Where the "buck" literally stops. :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

ncwingnut

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 94 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Horses, Boxer dogs, cross stitch, MMORPGs, regulatory affairs stuff...and on and on....

Posted 22 November 2016 - 01:22 PM

I am responsible for validating the vendors.  I work in regulatory compliance and am the SQF Practitioner.  All new vendor requests come through the regulatory department.  We review all their documentation, conduct audits based on risk, and approve.  Documentation and samples do go through R&D and QC, but we have the final say.

That's just what we do here :)

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users