Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:52 PM

We are a paperboard carton manufacturer for non contact food items.  Although we are non contact, and only <5% of our product goes to food manufacturers, we chose SQF level 1 for certification.  Last year's audit produced a non-conformance for inadequate training on the SQF code.  All SQF training classes seem to be level 2-3 with a HACCP plan that I don't feel applies to us.  Does anyone have any thoughts as to proper training for our situation?  Would training for PCQI (preventive control qualified individual) suffice?  I did have HACCP training 3 years ago but without the need for a HACCP plan our third party auditor says that training is not sufficient.  I have asked our third party auditor for clarification 3 times but they have not given me any response (but of course are demanding we schedule our annual audit).  Anyone else in this situation or also a manufacturer of non contact food cartons?  Possibly a more appropriate code to follow?  Thanks in advance for any help on this matter. 

Bartosz Dobek

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 1 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 December 2016 - 05:29 PM

There is only one "Implementing SQF System Course" that talks about all 3 levels of certification. On another note, SQF code does not require that you take the class. SQF code requires that you demonstrate the knowledge of the code. Taking an online exam for SQF Practitioner would be a great proof that you understand the code. You can actually self study the code and then take an online test.

What your auditor requires from you is SQF Practitioner Certificate not that you attend the training class. Your PCQI certificate in this case wouldn't be sufficient.

Hope that helps.

Thanked by 1 Member:

paulpaine

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 December 2016 - 07:28 PM

Thanks for your help Bartosz!

moskito

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 412 posts
  • 85 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 21 December 2016 - 05:37 PM

Hi,

this is just to remind the definition of non-food contact. Panta Rei -> new definition necessary?

In Europe we have a huge dicussion on gas transfer of MOH (mineral oil derived hydrocarbons; MOSH/MOAH) into products. This components of C16-C35 length can migrate and can pass by gas transfer through plastic foils like PE or PP, which are defined as food contact materials.

So the question is whether the definitions of primary/secondary/tertiary packaging and food contact material will be as before in future

Rgds

moskioto

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,629 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 28 December 2016 - 01:59 AM

Hey Paul

You need to really study the SQF code for Level 1 to understand the various requirements for training and as the SQF practitioner must be knowlegeable about the system - this is where you may have an issue understanding.

While not required any longer you may want to considerthe online sqf implementation training

Your FSC category is 27.

Glenn Oster
www.glennosterconsulting.com

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com