• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is it possible to wash spice and herb prior using?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

JCSL

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 19 December 2016 - 10:40 AM

Hello there,

Is it possible to wash spice and herb prior using? If no is there any other alternatives to wash off the chemicals, physical and microbial hazard?

Million thanks.

TIgo

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 December 2016 - 05:07 PM

Hi,

My best suggestion is to ask for a COA on the spices you are purchasing.  I hope you are buying in bulk directly.  If you are purchasing from a distributor then it would be best to ask what standards do they require before purchasing spices. To me, this is a supply chain concern.  You should be trying to avoid another processing step in your food safety system.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 19 December 2016 - 05:17 PM

Hello there,

Is it possible to wash spice and herb prior using? If no is there any other alternatives to wash off the chemicals, physical and microbial hazard?

Million thanks.

Hi jcsl,

Yr OP requires context, eg what kind of raw material, hazards are you talking about ?

Yes, you can wash with water but it cannot remove 100 per cent of all hazards. Nor can anything else. Maybe study Post2.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

JCSL

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 20 December 2016 - 07:09 AM

My concern will be the heavy metal or pesticide residue that left over on the spice. Spices will be like dried chilli, staranise, cinnamon, fennel.  If I do have a COA from supplier, meaning that I could use it directly without washing and add into sauce production? How about it spice repacking or spice blending?

Million thanks.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 December 2016 - 03:18 PM

My concern will be the heavy metal or pesticide residue that left over on the spice. Spices will be like dried chilli, staranise, cinnamon, fennel.  If I do have a COA from supplier, meaning that I could use it directly without washing and add into sauce production? How about it spice repacking or spice blending?

Million thanks.

Hi JCSL,

Afaik typical food processes (including  drying) will not "eliminate" existing significant amounts of heavy metals/pesticides, ie need control of original raw material..

The answers to yr queries IMO essentially relate to the specification of the ingredients / finished product.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

JCSL

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 21 December 2016 - 07:21 AM

Thanks ,

I know what to do now. It was really helpful. 

Million thanks. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users