• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:40 AM

Hi all, first post!

We make a range of cold pressed, date based snack bars here in Auckland, New Zealand. The products contain 4 or 5 raw materials, with date paste being the largest raw material by %. The raw materials are mixed together then extruded into a slab, cooled, slit, cut and wrapped.

We have been having a spirited discussion about CCPs for this process. We currently test water activity every 2 hours as a means of controlling microbial growth and call this a CCP. However, at no point in the process is there a specific step where a control is/could be applied to reduce or eliminate the hazard of microbial growth. The water activity of the product is merely a function of the raw materials. Therefore it seems we cannot have a CCP for controlling microbial spoilage if there is no control preventative measures in the process. 

Thoughts?

I have also been thinking that we need to assess the true risk of microbial spoilage, as if the RMs are all within spec the risk should be very low.

MaryQA

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:16 AM

Hello 

Mixing Time/ temperature wont affect the product water activity?

What about using preservative to control aw (if you looking for a control step)

I think a risk assessment based on aw results and micro testing would do the job

Microbial growth is a function of temperature, pH and aw 

in your case dates is alkaline,  temperature is controlled so...

Good luck

Mary

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:42 AM

Hi Pete,

I think you may be missing the (HACCP) point.

You need to first determine the specific  hazards  as part of a hazard analysis with respect to the inputs / process steps. Then evaluate if such hazards are actually significant.

The Codex definition of a CCP includes the word "prevent".

Nonetheless, if all the potential hazards are actually controlled by PRPs, yr final conclusion may be correct. Unless you have a metal detector of course. :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,327 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:08 PM

Hi Pete,

I think you may be missing the (HACCP) point.

You need to first determine the specific  hazards  as part of a hazard analysis with respect to the inputs / process steps. Then evaluate if such hazards are actually significant.

The Codex definition of a CCP includes the word "prevent".

Nonetheless, if all the potential hazards are actually controlled by PRPs, yr final conclusion may be correct. Unless you have a metal detector of course. :smile:

Yes.  For example, dates have a potential to contain aflatoxin depending on how they are handling, stored, and processed.  I would think more of your control steps would be water activity checks, and other QA checks of the raw materials versus downstream in your process to control significant hazards from a biological perspective.

umairaees

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 18 January 2017 - 12:15 AM

I think you start from basics like Physical / Chemical & Biological in all ingredients like Date etc, & then process approach like any cooking for date paste etc. because aw water activity is mainly dependent on final pH also to get it activated, once you have all the hazards identified then we can decide the hurdles to be introduced for product safety 

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 18 January 2017 - 12:18 AM

Assuming your supplier of raw materials ensures there are no C/B/P hazards, what hazards are introduced in your processing steps?

Marshall

Thanked by 1 Member:

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:17 AM

However, at no point in the process is there a specific step where a control is/could be applied to reduce or eliminate the hazard of microbial growth. The water activity of the product is merely a function of the raw materials. Therefore it seems we cannot have a CCP for controlling microbial spoilage if there is no control preventative measures in the process. 

Thoughts?

I have also been thinking that we need to assess the true risk of microbial spoilage, as if the RMs are all within spec the risk should be very low.

Hi Pete,

:welcome: 

Some useful points made by Charles, Marshall and Ryan already.

Control can be applied here by purchasing to specified limits and raw material testing prior to use. Product testing would then be verification.

One would normally assess microbiological risks during the original hazard analysis, perhaps as you suggest this is something that you should revisit.

Kind regards,

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users