• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Trinidad and Tobago
    Trinidad and Tobago

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:51 PM

Hello everyone.

I am doing a product development for one of my company's clients and need to source bulk whey powder and cocoa powder from the Asian continent, including China and India.

Given the recent negative stories we have heard about food fraud and food contamination associated with China and other parts of Asia, I am hesitant to trust the suppliers' online profiles only.

Can anyone please give me suggestions for Asian suppliers of whey powder and cocoa powder, whose food safety culture you you think you can trust?

Thanks

Sharon

BrummyJim

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 329 posts
  • 117 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Motorbike gone now. Only the dog to walk!

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:18 AM

Hi Sharon,

Any particular reason for sourcing Asian product? Due diligence is the answer though. Always know your manufacturer, not just your supplier. If the supplier won't give you information on the manufacturer, find another supplier. Always look for GFSI, and always check that it is valid (BRC, SQF, FSSC all have a public directory - IFS do not provide any verification unless you are IFS certified). If you can't audit the manufacturer yourself, request a copy of their most recent 3rd party audit.

When you're satisfied with that, check the specs, heavy metal, pesticide and micro analyses. Do they look right? Do they match your expectations and requirements? Are they within international guidelines and limits?

I'm sure others can add to this; it's only a start!

Thanked by 1 Member:

srose

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Trinidad and Tobago
    Trinidad and Tobago

Posted 13 January 2017 - 02:00 PM

Hi BrummyJim,

Thank you for all the advice.

I am currently focused on Asian suppliers because my client imports a number of products from that continent and would prefer to consolidate his shipments.

Thanks again for the help. I will include your suggestions in my deliberations.

Sharon

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users