• Quick Navigation
Photo

Are Silicone wedding rings ok in a food manufacturing environment?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Big Wally

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 58 posts
  • 20 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 January 2017 - 01:10 PM

About 12 hours ago I learned that silicone is actually being used to make wedding rings and bands. A quick google search pulls up many choices. While an excellent choice for the poor gentleman preparing to propose to his lovely dame, I am not sure if this is an acceptable ring to be worn in the food manufacturing environment, No setting would be allowed but I am inclined to say this is acceptable. Anybody have experience with these?

adamperry2235

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 52 posts
  • 18 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 January 2017 - 02:21 PM

Like everything else it depends on what you are doing in your process. They aren't going to be picked up in a metal detector, but in the same breath they aren't going to cause any major concerns if a customer were to receive one. We are a flour manufacturer, so we allow them as well as just plain bands, as long as they can be picked up by the metal detector. We also have very little to no risk of them ending up in a bag as our hands are not involved in our processes. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 25 January 2017 - 02:56 PM

95% of our clients prohibit rings, etc regardless of composition/material and this includes silicone and not because of possible inclusion or damage to the employee and/or equipment but also due to transference of the filth that can be built up under rings.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 2 Members:

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 January 2017 - 06:20 PM

Hard to say. Ultimately I would say that if you allow rings without stones in your plant anyway they should be permitted, it isn't any higher risk than a button on a shirt or pants at that point. If you've banned all jewelry including wedding bans then it's easy and this would also be banned.

If you do allow wedding bands, I would heed SQFconsultants advice and address hand washing under wedding bands as part of your GMP procedures, and be wary that if you have processes that require direct hand contact it's an obvious source of contamination.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Thanked by 2 Members:

Leila Burin

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 154 posts
  • 45 thanks
Excellent

• Spain
    Spain

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:11 PM

My experience with allowing wedding rings, whatever material, is that I found employees with several plain rings.....how to ask if they have married so many times? :)

best regards,

Leila

redfox

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 481 posts
  • 163 thanks
Excellent

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 27 January 2017 - 10:15 PM

Hello,

Some standards allow wearing of wedding ring and band inside food processing area. In our company we don't allow any personal effects to be carried inside to lessen the risk of loose items going into the product. Before hiring, applicants were told about our policy and it's up to them if the would accept the job or not. Imagine if you have let say 20 employees wearing rings, It is an additional work to make inventory every start and of the shift to ensure nobody lost one inside production area.

regards,

redfox

tezza07

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 41 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:18 PM

We don't allow any rings in our facility. Even though a plain band is allowed by the standard, we don't allow them for safety reasons.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 06 March 2017 - 05:07 PM

No jewellery of any kind, silicone depending on the colour and your finished product and process could be a HUGE choking hazard!

We only may an exception for medic alert, which we have not had to do as of yet

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,599 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:46 PM

There is the cleaning of the ring, but also the safety aspect of the ring to consider.  Could it catch on something and cause someone to lose their finger?  All in all, we found they are not worth the risk.

-Setanta         

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users