• Quick Navigation
Photo

IFS Food and by-products industry

Share this

Best Answer , 07 February 2017 - 11:17 AM

Hi tata09,

:welcome: 

You are correct in that BRC has some requirements for by-products but they relate to waste control:

4.13 MANAGEMENT OF SURPLUS FOOD AND PRODUCTS FOR ANIMAL FEED
Effective processes shall be in place to ensure the safety and legality of by-products of the primary processing activity of the site.
4.13.3 By-products and downgraded/surplus products intended for animal feed shall be segregated from waste and protected from contamination during storage. Products for animal feed shall be managed in accordance with relevant legislative requirements.

IFS Food does not mention animal feed in its requirements:

4.11 Waste disposal
4.11.2 All current legal requirements for waste disposal shall be met.
4.11.6 Waste shall be collected in separate containers in accordance with the intended means of disposal. Such waste shall be disposed by authorised third parties only. Records of waste disposal shall be kept by the company.

​I would suggest that you contact IFS or your Certification Body to discuss your products/process if you are seeking certification.

Kind regards,

Tony

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

tata09

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Portugal
    Portugal

Posted 01 February 2017 - 05:28 PM

Hello everyone!
First of all, congratulations.

I am a follower of years of these forums, which I consider very useful!

I have a question that I need to share with you about the IFS FOOD certification of a by-product industry.
Does anyone know if it is possible, there is some guide on food materials for animal feed, as there is in BRC Food

Thank you for your help

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1286 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 07 February 2017 - 11:17 AM   Best Answer

Hi tata09,

:welcome: 

You are correct in that BRC has some requirements for by-products but they relate to waste control:

4.13 MANAGEMENT OF SURPLUS FOOD AND PRODUCTS FOR ANIMAL FEED
Effective processes shall be in place to ensure the safety and legality of by-products of the primary processing activity of the site.
4.13.3 By-products and downgraded/surplus products intended for animal feed shall be segregated from waste and protected from contamination during storage. Products for animal feed shall be managed in accordance with relevant legislative requirements.

IFS Food does not mention animal feed in its requirements:

4.11 Waste disposal
4.11.2 All current legal requirements for waste disposal shall be met.
4.11.6 Waste shall be collected in separate containers in accordance with the intended means of disposal. Such waste shall be disposed by authorised third parties only. Records of waste disposal shall be kept by the company.

​I would suggest that you contact IFS or your Certification Body to discuss your products/process if you are seeking certification.

Kind regards,

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users