Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Argentina
    Argentina

Posted 06 February 2017 - 04:35 PM

Good afternoon, I worked in INTI (Instituto Nacional de Tecnology Industrial) fromn Argentina y Thermal Processing Food, specially in meat products,

Now , Iam interested in hummus procedures and HACCP plans because we have been consulted about this topic.

Thank you very much.

Estela Martinez Espinosa

Food Technologist,

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 07 February 2017 - 11:01 AM

Hi Estela,

:welcome: 

Welcome to the forums. I am sure you will find a lot of useful information, if you can't find what you are looking for then you can always post a question.

Kind regards,

Tony

Bailey39

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 February 2017 - 02:26 PM

Hi Estela! Welcome to IFSQN. I joined a couple months ago and have found the forums extremely helpful! I have some previous experience in the Hummus industry so I'd be happy to assist where I can. :smile: 

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:18 PM

You can help me!

I love Hummus or Houmous whichever term you use.

My recipe involves using dried chickpeas and includes:

Chickpeas (dried, rehydrated & cooked)
Garlic
Salt
Olive oil
Lime juice (Lemon juice if available)
Paprika
Sesame seeds (fried)
Sesame oil

It always seems a bit dry which I'm assuming is related to using rehydrated Chickpeas? and a little bit bitter which seems to originate from the Sesame seeds? Perhaps you guys can offer me some tips?

Kind regards,

Tony

Bailey39

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:47 PM

Hi Tony!

Hm, in regards to the cooking steps there are only a few things that I can think of that my impact that... if you drain and pat dry, skip the second step or after draining, cover them while they cool to retain the extra moisture.

As long as you are rehydrating the chickpeas fully you shouldn't have an issue, but if you've tried making the snack using canned beans and noticed a difference then perhaps the beans do need a little extra time. It still boggles me how I struggle to rehydrate beans at home but saw it so effortlessly done in the industry.

Also, have you tried using tahini in place of the sesame oil and the sesame seeds?

Thanked by 1 Member:

Bailey39

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 February 2017 - 05:00 PM

Hi Tony!

Hm, in regards to the cooking steps there are only a few things that I can think of that my impact that... if you drain and pat dry, skip the second step or after draining, cover them while they cool to retain the extra moisture.

As long as you are rehydrating the chickpeas fully you shouldn't have an issue, but if you've tried making the snack using canned beans and noticed a difference then perhaps the beans do need a little extra time. It still boggles me how I struggle to rehydrate beans at home but saw it so effortlessly done in the industry.

Also, have you tried using tahini in place of the sesame oil and the sesame seeds?

Oops - I also forgot to comment that yes, you likely are observing bitterness from the sesame seeds and you will find that tahini usually retains those bitter notes as well. If you decide to make your own tahini, which kind of sounds like you are doing there are recommendations to use hulled sesame seed as unhulled seeds are likely to result in more bitterness. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 February 2017 - 05:34 PM

That is correct I'm making it all from raw ingredients. The Chickpeas are rehydrated and then cooked in a pressure cooker, the Sesame seeds are hulled and fried. My recipe isn't bad but I do get a slight dry and bitter note as I said previously. I can use Tahini but my desire is to make my own whole recipe. What in addition to my recipe is included in Tahini? Sugar?

Kind regards,

Tony

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 09 February 2017 - 05:35 PM

I too like Hummus.

:welcome:

Regards,

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:26 PM

the Ziyad brand of tahini that I use only lists "Mechanically Hulled Sesame Seeds" on the ingredient deck.

Marshall

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users