• Quick Navigation
Photo

Which standard is considered the best, AIB or SQF?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Chad R.

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:06 PM

Hello,

I am in the flexible packaging industry and am wondering which standard is considered the best or preferred, AIB or SQF?  My organization is currently AIB certified and looking to go into SQF but the question was asked to me, which is a better certification to have.  I see AIB as more facility cleanliness and GMP practices followed vs SQF which is more procedural and documentation.  In my opinion both serve different purposes.

Thoughts or preferences?

Thanks

Chad

ctzinck

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 110 posts
  • 38 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:15 PM

Chad, I'm also in flexible packaging, we were previously AIB but are now SQF level 2, we went with SQF because our customers were requiring it of us, but I still will use AIB instructors to come in and handle some training for us.

ncorliss

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 63 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:20 PM

I am in the food packaging industry, direct food contact. I haven't worked with AIB so I can't comment. I'm not sure what you mean about SQF being more procedural and documentation vs. cleanliness and GMP practices. SQF also requires appropriate cleanliness and GMP. Both schemes are GFSI recognized. I guess it comes down to what your customer's want. Some of us require to be specifically SQF certified, others only require a GFSI recognized standard.  

Chad R.

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:21 PM

Ctzinck,

Did you use AIB as your certified body for inspections?  As of right now none of our customers has asked for SQF certification hence why we still maintain AIB but senior management has some concerns since AIB is not listed as an acceptable certification for FSMA.

I am at the very initial stages of looking for quote for someone to conduct a Gap Analysis or pre-assessment to see how far we are at satisfying the code and some of the quotes were pretty high so the owner asked if we should pursue at this point or not.

ncorliss

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 63 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:26 PM

Chad R.

I hadn't seen any published lists of accepted third party certifications under FSMA, can you share where you found this? Google wasn't helpful to me today.

Chad R.

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:26 PM

I am in the food packaging industry, direct food contact. I haven't worked with AIB so I can't comment. I'm not sure what you mean about SQF being more procedural and documentation vs. cleanliness and GMP practices. SQF also requires appropriate cleanliness and GMP. Both schemes are GFSI recognized. I guess it comes down to what your customer's want. Some of us require to be specifically SQF certified, others only require a GFSI recognized standard.  

I thought AIB was not recognized as GFSI?

Chad R.

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:28 PM

Chad R.

I hadn't seen any published lists of accepted third party certifications under FSMA, can you share where you found this? Google wasn't helpful to me today.

here is a link i found today. 

http://www.mygfsi.co...ed-schemes.html

ncorliss

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 63 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:29 PM

Ah, you are right. I even looked and got my acronyms cross today. My bad.

ctzinck

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 110 posts
  • 38 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:31 PM

Ctzinck,

Did you use AIB as your certified body for inspections?  As of right now none of our customers has asked for SQF certification hence why we still maintain AIB but senior management has some concerns since AIB is not listed as an acceptable certification for FSMA.

I am at the very initial stages of looking for quote for someone to conduct a Gap Analysis or pre-assessment to see how far we are at satisfying the code and some of the quotes were pretty high so the owner asked if we should pursue at this point or not.

Yes, back when we were AIB certified we were inspected yearly by AIB, once we went SQF AIB no longer audited us, once we started the process of going SQF we brought in a consultant to help and they come back every year the month before we are audited. They conduct a mock audit to see if theres any areas that need attention before the actual audit. 

Robert Daigneault

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 31 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:30 AM

We used AIB GMP for Direct Food Contact for years and are currently implementing BRC Pack 5.  Many of our customer are requiring a GFSI scheme for higher levels of risk management.  I would recommend surveying your customer's needs before making the decision,

CMHeywood

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 119 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:18 PM

Depending on your customer, AIB inspection may not be acceptable.  I am not talking about using AIB as a certification body for SQF, etc.

A few years ago, the Peanut Corporation of American has a high AIB score but then had a severe problem with salmonella in their products that went to Mars, Kraft, and a whole host of large food companies.  The recall cost millions of dollars and three of the PCA managers went to jail.

I think the document you get after your AIB inspection says "not certification".

I work for a company that makes food contact packaging.  We are SQF Level 3 certified which replaced AIB (cleanliness) and ISO 9001 (quality).

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,329 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:51 PM

SQF is a preferred certification over AIB.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:07 AM

Dear All,

It would be interesting to see how many annual recalls/disasters are from "GFSI certified" facilities, etc.

I extracted this from a, probably, ca 2009 review -

It is important to clarify the difference between the AIB physical inspection and GFSI recognized audits performed by AIB.  While GFSI recognized audits include a very focused review of documentation, the AIB physical inspection focuses on the manufacturing facility, it’s policies, operations, the physical condition of grounds, buildings, production and the storage areas in order to make certain that in every step of the process the food remains safe.  The AIB audit does not “certify” a company, it gives the manufacturer a certificate of achievement which is based on the inspection that was performed on that day.  The certificate of achievement does not have an expiration date.

As above, it will depend on yr customer requirements plus yr own "ambitions/resources/etc".

Maybe off-topic but here is one food users perspective -

http://www.ifsqn.com...ng-overwhelmed/

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,662 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 09 February 2017 - 10:58 AM

If your customers want your company to be GFSI certified then SQF is a logical choose as AIB is not currently recognized by GFSI. For a full list of recognized GFSI schemes take a look at...

http://www.mygfsi.co...ed-schemes.html

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

ctzinck

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 110 posts
  • 38 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 February 2017 - 12:08 PM

Depending on your customer, AIB inspection may not be acceptable.  I am not talking about using AIB as a certification body for SQF, etc.

A few years ago, the Peanut Corporation of American has a high AIB score but then had a severe problem with salmonella in their products that went to Mars, Kraft, and a whole host of large food companies.  The recall cost millions of dollars and three of the PCA managers went to jail.

I think the document you get after your AIB inspection says "not certification".

I work for a company that makes food contact packaging.  We are SQF Level 3 certified which replaced AIB (cleanliness) and ISO 9001 (quality).

Just out of curiosity, why lvl 3 and not 2?

CMHeywood

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 119 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 February 2017 - 02:49 PM

SQF Level 3 is food safety program and quality program certification.  SQF Level 2 is food safety only.

We previously were AIB and ISO 9001 certified so two different audits.  We decided to go SQF Level 3 to replace AIB and ISO 9001 so we would only have one audit.

There was also a mistaken belief by some of our management that SQF Level 3 is better than Level 2.  Level 3 adds quality but does not really add more to the food safety requirements found in Level 2.

Level 3 is a hybrid set of requirements - a mixture of food safety and quality.  Only Level 2 is GFSI benchmarked.  The understanding is that Level 3 means you meet the requirements of Level 2 (food safety) plus quality.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users