• Quick Navigation
Photo

How to conduct a traceability exercise (both backwards and forwards)?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

doggy

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 February 2017 - 05:36 PM

Hello All,

I hope everyone is doing great.

Could you please guide me through on how to conduct a traceability exercise (both backwards and forward) i.e what documentation to look for etc in each case.

Thanks for your time

Doggy

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:40 AM

Hi Doggy,

A system for identification and traceability of product batches should enable tracking of raw material batches through to distributed batches of finished product using label detail and expiry code and vice versa.

Traceability records by Product, Label and Expiry date should be maintained and retained for all product batches. This should enable you to trace materials from goods receipt to customer for every delivery.

Records should be kept for raw material and packaging usage and finished product volumes.

Reworked material should also remain identifiable and traceable.

Typical records include:
Stage - Details
Raw Material Intake - Material, Time, Date, Temperature, Batch Code, Supplier
Packaging Intake - Packaging, Batch Code, Supplier
In-Process batches Records - Ingredients mixed including Reworked material. Batch Code.
Process Records  - Batch Code. Hot/Cold Temperature and Time
Bulk Storage Records - Batch Code. Product. Temperature and Time
Production Records - Batch Code. Product, Time, Date, Label, Expiry Code, Code of Packaging, Temperature
Storage Record - Product, Time, Date, Label, Expiry Code, Temperature
Dispatch Records - Product, Time, Date, Label, Expiry Code, Temperature
Critical Control Records - For all Control Points
Cleaning Records - For all stages
Delivery Records - Product, Customer & Location, Time, Date, Label, Expiry Code, Temperature

Note that quantities should be recorded at each stage.

Kind regards,

Tony

Thanked by 2 Members:

gud2ya

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:57 AM

Forward:

Identify a raw material ... track it forward up until you can determine what product batches were produced using it and which customer received these batches.

Backward

Identify a customer .... identify a product batch which reached this customer. You should be able to trace back until the specific batch of raw materials which were used to produce this product batch and everything in between

for both, you should be able to recover 100% of all involved inputs and outputs and at the same time do this under a time limit (maybe 2 hours)

Thanked by 2 Members:

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:14 AM

Not sure where a 2 hour time limit came from?

Typically the requirement is 4 hours. For example BRC Food:

The test of traceability should be timed and full traceability would be expected to be achieved within 4 hours. This is to reflect the need for rapid traceability in the event of a recall. Where traceability takes longer than 4 hours, areas where the retrieval of information is slow should be reviewed to identify improvements.

​Kind regards,

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:

doggy

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:59 AM

Thank you Tony for this valuable information. If I am correct, is the list applicable to both Forward and Backwards traceabilities ?

Also, can you help me with detailed records of how to conduct a mass balance. I know it has to do with quantities i.e (input=output). If input of raw materials are not exactly the same as the output, what % is acceptable?

Kind Regards 

Doggy

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:00 PM

Hi Tony,

The OP omitted to specify the FS Standard involved. I daresay since UK is BRC7 but just as a comment -

The interpretation of "Traceability" as a one forward(up)/one back combination applies to, for example BRC/SQF Food.

Other FS standards, eg NSF, AIB  seem to have additional interpretations/terminologies/options.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:53 PM

Thank you Tony for this valuable information. If I am correct, is the list applicable to both Forward and Backwards traceabilities ?

Also, can you help me with detailed records of how to conduct a mass balance. I know it has to do with quantities i.e (input=output). If input of raw materials are not exactly the same as the output, what % is acceptable?

Kind Regards 

Doggy

Hi Doggy,

Yes forward and back although forward may involve more work for an ingredient batch that is spread over many products.

For mass balance you will have records of quantities raw materials received, batch mix volumes, production volumes, delivery to customer and any stock write off. Each process is different, you need to account for wastage and typically over history you should have a model for usage and % waste. This will determine any acceptable %, I would normally expect this to be less than 5%.

This is for example from BRC Guidance:

The mass balance exercise should usually be undertaken as follows:
• Select a batch code of a particular specific raw material.
• Identify the quantity of raw material supplied under that batch code.
• Identify recipes in which the ingredient is used.
• Use production schedules and batch make-up sheets to calculate the quantities of the selected batch of ingredient used in each product.
• Calculate the quantity of any unused part of the batch in the warehouse (if any).
• Reconcile the quantity delivered against the amounts used plus residual unused stock.
It is acknowledged that quantity checks, in some instances, may take a lot of time and resources to complete successfully.

Kind regards,

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:

doggy

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:20 PM

Hi Tony,

So many thanks for your prompt response. Tony, this is helpful but have you got any theoretical worked example at hand? 

Kind Regards

Doggy

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:44 PM

Hi Tony,

So many thanks for your prompt response. Tony, this is helpful but have you got any theoretical worked example at hand? 

Kind Regards

Doggy

Hi Doggy,

Not that I can share but if you PM me with a list of ingredients, packaging, recipe, stages in the process and final product then I can produce an excel spreadsheet for you to use.

Kind regards,

Tony

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:03 PM

hi Tony,

Unfotunately, Doggy probably at moment is unable to access the pm system.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

doggy

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:06 PM

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your reply. I can't remember on top of my head any ingredient list etc. Can't we make up the spread sheet with let say some arbitrary ingredients to produce lets say mayonnaise or any product you can think of ? I just need to see how I can play with it in the future.

Kind Regards

Doggy  

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:52 PM

Hi doggy,

The logic for a relatively simple ingredient mass balance is illustrated in attachment below.

Attached File  Salsa, traceability,mass balance,2015.pdf   207.98KB   905 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 2 Members:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:08 AM

addendum

Another. quantitative, mass balance example is here (see Pgs 5-6, 8-10) -

http://www.ifsqn.com...013/#entry97706

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:47 PM

Not sure where a 2 hour time limit came from?

@ Tony C. Just did my SQF recert and was told by the auditor Mock Trace needs to be complete within 2 hours and will be expected on site for version 8.

-Austin

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:50 AM

@ Tony C. Just did my SQF recert and was told by the auditor Mock Trace needs to be complete within 2 hours and will be expected on site for version 8.

-Austin

:surprise:  Interesting Austin !

I would have asked for some evidence of this requirement. I don't see how an auditor can apply what they believe to be future SQF Code requirements from an edition that is yet to be published on your recertification audit ............... unless you mean that they said it will be a future requirement.

I didn't see any time requirements in the proposed changes for SQF Edition 8:

2.6.2 Product Trace (Mandatory)
2.6.2.1 "A product trace system shall be implemented to ensure:
i. Finished product is traceable to the customer (one up) and provides traceability through the process to the manufacturing supplier and date of receipt of raw materials, food contact packaging and materials and other inputs (one back);
ii. Traceability is maintained where product is reworked; and
iii. The effectiveness of the product trace system shall be reviewed at least annually."
2.6.2.2 Records of raw and packaging material receipt and use, and product dispatch and destination shall be maintained.

There is this in Edition 7.2 guidance:

2.6.3 Product Withdrawal and Recall (M) Implementation Guidance
The supplier must also be aware of the recall targets set by retail customers.  Some may require 100% identification and quarantine of affected product within hours or recall notification.  Regulatory recall requirements must also be considered.

Kind regards,

Tony

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 March 2017 - 04:15 PM

He meant it as a future requirement but that they have been given guidance that 2 hours is an indication of a "successful" trace exercise, and that it's time to automate your ERP/inventory system to get it to that speed if needed.

I don't think it would have been a finding if it had exceeded that limit, just a heads up for us on version 8.

@Doggy, I remember one of the IFSQN webinars having a great tool for forward/backward trace if you sell retail-level products. Go to the store and buy one, then pretend it made you sick. Trace forward to identify where any other products from same lot ended up and how many as if you were going to recall, trace backwards to all implicated raw materials that could be involved in your root cause investigation and make sure all that information would be available for you in the event you needed to reevaluate scope.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 March 2017 - 05:48 PM

He meant it as a future requirement but that they have been given guidance that 2 hours is an indication of a "successful" trace exercise, and that it's time to automate your ERP/inventory system to get it to that speed if needed.

I don't think it would have been a finding if it had exceeded that limit, just a heads up for us on version 8.

@Doggy, I remember one of the IFSQN webinars having a great tool for forward/backward trace if you sell retail-level products. Go to the store and buy one, then pretend it made you sick. Trace forward to identify where any other products from same lot ended up and how many as if you were going to recall, trace backwards to all implicated raw materials that could be involved in your root cause investigation and make sure all that information would be available for you in the event you needed to reevaluate scope.

Thank you for the 'heads up'

I would politely suggest that 2 hours is not likely to be a requirement of SQF Edition 8 and that 2 hours is not a realistic requirement. BRC are usually more stringent than SQF and they stipulate it 'should' be achieved within 4 hours.

Kind regards,

Tony

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users