• Quick Navigation
Photo

What are the WHO standards for metal size tolerable by humans?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

KSHMR

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:34 AM

Hi,

Can anybody specify me about the Metal size ( Fe, Non-Fe and SS) that can be tolerable by human body of all age groups including special risk group AS STATED BY WHO only ?

As we do have the critical limit of 2.0 mm for Non-Fe and SS and 1.5 mm for Fe in here but we are currently reviewing and Re-validating the critical metal limits.

Best Regards,

KSHMR

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 19 February 2017 - 12:40 PM

Hi,

Can anybody specify me about the Metal size ( Fe, Non-Fe and SS) that can be tolerable by human body of all age groups including special risk group AS STATED BY WHO only ?

As we do have the critical limit of 2.0 mm for Non-Fe and SS and 1.5 mm for Fe in here but we are currently reviewing and Re-validating the critical metal limits.

Best Regards,

KSHMR

Hi KSMHR,

I assume you are referring to a contamination in food.

You may need to define "tolerable". Regulatory factors take haccp precedence where existing.

Offhand i cannot recall ever seeing ANY official body making a general, triple, claim such as you mention. The converse is more likely to exist IMO.

From a Risk Assessment POV, are you referring to a single isolated occurrence or ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

KSHMR

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 27 February 2017 - 06:52 AM

Hi Charles,

The term tolerable means the size of metal that doesn't have an injurable impact on  humans or special risk groups. I am just asking are there any size limits for Fe, Non Fe and SS as stated by WHO or USFDA. 

Best Regards,

KSHMR

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:31 AM

Hi Charles,

The term tolerable means the size of metal that doesn't have an injurable impact on  humans or special risk groups. I am just asking are there any size limits for Fe, Non Fe and SS as stated by WHO or USFDA. 

Best Regards,

KSHMR

Hi KSHMR,

You are basically asking what "size" of (hard,sharp) metallic fragment is considered a  safety hazard for a food designated as suitable  for all risk groups.

Afaik, the only currently valid/accessible responses  are those provided by CFIA(Canada)/ USFDA for which the basic answer is  any size > 0 units

Can see this thread (2013) which contains a lot of the available background info. -

http://www.ifsqn.com...-less-than-7mm/

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:27 PM

To supplement Charles, here's FDA's position on foreign objects for imports.

https://www.fda.gov/...l/ucm074554.htm

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users