Does anyone know where to find FDA guidelines for the storage of packaging materials (finished product) which are to be used door direct contact with food products. The storage takes place in an external facility.
Thanks for your comments!
FDA guidelines for the Storage of Packaging materialsFDA Storage Packaging
Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:03 AM
Thanked by 1 Member:
Posted 23 February 2017 - 03:47 PM
Maintenance of storage areas for ingredients (product contact packaging is an ingredient and/or a food contact surface, depending on whether it will go through a wash/sanitize step before use) and warehousing in general is in the provisions of 21 CFR 110.80.
The gist under which you will need to write your risk assessment:
All food manufacturing, including packaging and storage, shall be conducted under such conditions and controls as are necessary to minimize the potential for the growth of microorganisms, or for the contamination of food
Storage and transportation of finished food shall be under conditions that will protect food against physical, chemical, and microbial contamination as well as against deterioration of the food and the container.
(7) Equipment, containers, and utensils used to convey, hold, or store raw materials, work-in-process, rework, or food shall be constructed, handled, and maintained during manufacturing or storage in a manner that protects against contamination.
I would hold outside warehouses that are storing packaging materials for you to the sanitary transport requirements. In that the warehouse should be:
- Protected from excess dust, moisture, or other elements that could cause contamination
- Protected from conditions that will deteriorate the materials
- Free from pests and vermin
- Secure to prevent intentional adulteration (food defense)
QA Manager and food safety blogger in Oregon, USA.
Interested in more information on food safety and science? Check out Furfarmandfork.com for more insights!
Subscribe to have one post per week delivered straight to your inbox.
Thanked by 1 Member:
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users