Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 25 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 23 February 2017 - 05:34 PM

Hey all, I'm poking around online with little success, trying to find a lid or cover of some variety for our stainless steel bowls. Because we work in a dry mix environment, a lot of dust is kicked up and becomes a potential allergen cross-contamination point for "clean" bowls. I have this idea/image in my brain of just a rubber lid that would be tight fitting to cover up the bowls, whether unused or with product in them... But I can also imagine the existence of a stainless lid, as well. These feel like something that SHOULD exist, I just don't know specifically where to look! I'm wondering if anyone out there knows where I could go, or if perhaps there is somewhere that could make these custom? The tight-fitting rubber style would be preferable (cheaper, too, I would imagine, even if they would likely need to be replaced over time), and I guess I know a company that has done some custom welding for us in the past if I had to go the stainless lid route. I'm going to pore over the Rubbermaid website...

Thanks!

41ltSIqpoLL.jpg

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,329 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 28 February 2017 - 07:18 PM

Have you considered something more basic and disposable, such as a food grade plastic liner to cover the bowls?  If you want a tight seal you can find one just small enough, or use a band around it to seal it against the bowl.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,662 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 28 February 2017 - 07:30 PM

Most manufacturers of industrial bowls and mixing stand bowls also have stainless steel lids available; almost always for major brands (unless it is custom) such as Hobart for instance. All you need to do is look up the MFG and you should be able to find what you need.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 10 March 2017 - 04:44 PM

If you cannot find one from the manufacturer, you can have a machine shop make one for you (my partner is a millwright and could do it in a snap). Your best bet is to call around to local metal fab shops and be VERY specific on what you need. You may need to take your bowl(s) to them to laser measure the top so that you have a nice fitting lid. You should also let them know that the lip needs to be cleanable or you may get a rough part in return. bear in mind stainless steel is expensive, but will last forever (it's also not very light)

As Ryan stated, plastic may be better. A puckboard is approved for use in Canada, can be laser cut and heat bent to your specifications

www.rona.ca/en/high-density-polyethylene-puck-board-4-x-8-55375103

Good luck

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users