• IFSQN Member
  • 58 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 March 2017 - 02:40 PM

Hi guys,

We used to complete start, middle and end of run checks with traceability information for each run on a sheet. We run small labels down each line and gather a sample label and attach to the sheet - pretty straight forward stuff. We have replaced/updated our online coding/dating system. We are now printing directly on the packaging and no longer using a label for 90% of customers. How do I confirm checks? I am unable to keep a sample and unable to run anything along the inker to get the date onto a sample sheet directly from the production line. 

Label checks still being completed for the products/customers requiring it but for those who dont how do I confirm or record traceability information? Any online dating/coding worksheet examples?

Help!!

IL

J0hn

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 31 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 March 2017 - 02:51 PM

Hi

For our customers (the major UK supermarkets) we do a mix of printing online onto packaging and printing off line onto labels (then applied to products).

We record the label checks the exact same way - either stick the label to the label check form or attach a sample of the packaging to the form.

Offline printed labels are also verified in the label room.

Hope this helps.

John

Irishlass105

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 58 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 March 2017 - 02:58 PM

John,

Thats exactly what we have been doing but now with the new system if we print directly to pack we are unable to keep a sample as the packs themselves can't be kept. We have got rid of the label and print it to a pulp paper tray which is why I am struggling to find a way to assure an auditor we check start, middle and end as it is now just a tick box exercise.

IL

J0hn

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 31 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:04 PM

John,

Thats exactly what we have been doing but now with the new system if we print directly to pack we are unable to keep a sample as the packs themselves can't be kept. We have got rid of the label and print it to a pulp paper tray which is why I am struggling to find a way to assure an auditor we check start, middle and end as it is now just a tick box exercise.

IL

We attached empty packs to our forms for our records, our biggest pack size is 500g and all our packaging is flow wrap film or vertical form filled OPP. Another option could be scanned/photos of the packs?

John

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:24 PM

Photo's is a good suggestion. We inkjet at my facility, and rather than just a tic box for "checked coding" on my production paperwork, I make the floor operators write down the entire code for that hour (including timestamp). Making them write the code and timestamp helps make sure that someone had to actually grab a bottle rather than just check the box.

-Austin

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users