Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Lebanon
    Lebanon

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:32 AM

I work at a wheat milling factory, aiming to implement ISO 22000.

My question is,should the flour bags have an allergen declaration? Knowing that the only ingredient is wheat.

Dr.Khan

DR

• IFSQN Senior
  • 314 posts
  • 132 thanks
Excellent

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Food, Reading technical information,provding technical help in QA,R&D,staff Training, products and processes optimisation, watching documentaries and making presentations
    AM available as consultant in Quality Assurance, Product & process development/ optimisation, staff training and trouble shooting in complex manufacturing Environment

Cal me on +61411588329 to discuss your requirements.

Am available for International Assignments

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:22 PM

Hi Hanine

simple answer is Yes as lot of people are allergic to gluten a naturally  and need gluten free food.

Kind regards
Dr Humaid Khan
Managing Director
Halal International Service
Beverly hills
NSW Australia

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,662 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:02 PM

Several years ago a company that produces salted nuts was contacted by the FDA because they failed to put an allergen declaration on a can of mixed nuts  -- it may seem obvious to us as to what is in a can clearly marked as mixed nuts or a bag of flour, but regardless a declaration is required.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 2 Members:

Kelly S

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 96 posts
  • 36 thanks
Good

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Sci Fi Geek, Book Lover, Chef-in-my-own-kitchen, Eclectic Music Collector

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:38 PM

^ What they said. Unfortunately common sense is not very common  <_<

“Will this be on the test?" "Yeah, about the test. The test will measure whether you are an informed, engaged, and productive citizen of the world, and it will take place in schools and bars and hospitals and dorm rooms and in places of worship. You will be tested on first dates, in job interviews, while watching football, and while scrolling through your Twitter feed. The test will judge your ability to think about things other than celebrity marriages, whether you’ll be easily persuaded by empty political rhetoric, and whether you’ll be able to place your life and your community in a broader context. The test will last your entire life, and it will be comprised of the millions of decisions, that when taken together, make your life yours. And everything — EVERYTHING — will be on it.”

-  John Green

QATX12

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 34 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:30 PM

In the U.S. FDA requires the following:

FALCPA requires food manufacturers to label food products that contain an ingredient that is or contains protein from a major food allergen in one of two ways.

The first option for food manufacturers is to include the name of the food source in parenthesis following the common or usual name of the major food allergen in the list of ingredients in instances when the name of the food source of the major allergen does not appear elsewhere in the ingredient statement. For example:

ucm106908.pngIngredients: Enriched flour (wheat flour, malted barley, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), sugar, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, and/or cottonseed oil, high fructose corn syrup, whey (milk), eggs, vanilla, natural and artificial flavoring) salt, leavening (sodium acid pyrophosphate, monocalcium phosphate), lecithin (soy), mono-and diglycerides (emulsifier)

The second option is to place the word "Contains" followed by the name of the food source from which the major food allergen is derived, immediately after or adjacent to the list of ingredients, in type size that is no smaller than the type size used for the list of ingredients. For example:

Contains Wheat, Milk, Egg, and Soy

Source:

https://www.fda.gov/...s/ucm106890.htm

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users