• Quick Navigation
Photo

SQFI Launches Edition 8 of the SQF Code (+ Checklists & Changes)

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1286 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 01 April 2017 - 04:13 AM

Edition 8 of the SQF Code will be valid for all certification audits conducted after January 2, 2018.

The following documents are available for download free of charge:
SQF Food Safety Fundamentals Edition 8
SQF Food Safety Code for Primary Production Edition 8
SQF Food Safety Code for Food Retail Edition 8
SQF Food Safety Code for Manufactuirng Edition 8
SQF Food Safety Code for Manufacture of Food Packaging Edition 8
SQF Food Safety Code for Storage and Distribution Edition 8
SQF Quality Code Edition 8 - The SQF Quality Code builds on the system elements defined in the various SQF Food Safety Codes.  Sites seeking to attain certification to the SQF Quality Code, or retain what was previously SQF Level 3 certification in edition 7, shall first be certified to the applicable SQF Food Safety Code for their industry sector.

The new documents can be downloaded here.

Each SQF Food Safety Code has their own Part A: Implementing and Maintaining the SQF Code, System Elements (Formerly module 2); and GAP/GMP/GDP/GRP sections (retained as modules 1 – 14)

For example SQF Food Safety Code for Manufacturing includes:
Part A: Implementing and Maintaining the SQF Food Safety Code for Manufacturing
SQF System Elements for Food Manufacturing
Module 3: Good Manufacturing Practices for Animal Feed Production (GFSI Scope F)
Module 4: Good Manufacturing Practices for Processing of Pet Food Products (GFSI Scope F)
Module 9: Good Manufacturing Practices for Pre-processing of Animal Products (GFSI C)
Module 10: Good Manufacturing Practices for Pre-processing of Plant Products (GFSI D)
Module 11: Good Manufacturing Practices for Processing of Food Products (GFSI El, Ell, Elll, ElV and L)

Highlights from SQFI:

The format of the SQF Code, Edition 8 has been updated to provide customized requirements for key industry sectors in separate stand alone codes.
All food safety codes will be submitted to the Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) for the benchmarking of all industry scopes that have GFSI requirements.
There will be no significant changes to the codes. However, due to the addition of new elements (or the elimination or consolidation of elements) there are some minor numbering changes.
The SQF Code Edition 8 replaces the SQF Code Edition 7, and is valid for all certification audits conducted after January 2, 2018. Those sites with an existing SQF certification will be required to upgrade their processes and procedures to meet the requirements outlined in Edition 8 by that date.

There is a free Learning Lunch Webinar on April 06, 2017 for those interesting in gaining a better understanding of Edition 8 and the changes.
To register for the webinar click here

tadelong

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 89 posts
  • 12 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:21 PM

Is there a comparison of changes anywhere?

mambo

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 06 April 2017 - 07:12 PM

Is there a comparison of changes anywhere?

None at the moment. Based on the information shared during the Webinar, SQFI will be releasing guidance documents and a comparative list in the coming months.

sqflady

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 250 posts
  • 63 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:05 PM

I'm also waiting/hoping for a comparison chart!

mec862

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:24 PM

We sat in a webinar that spoke through the changes and the comparison chart should be available by the end of this week.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:17 AM

Hi All,

(A)

I noticed a, seemingly, repetitive illogicality  in most of the SQF8 Safety Codes (but, perhaps strangely, not all). For example the  Manufacturing Code has  -

2.7.2        Food Fraud

2.7.2.1  The  methods,  responsibility  and  criteria  for  identifying  the  site's  vulnerability  to  food  fraud  shall  be documented,  implemented  and  maintained.    The  food  fraud  vulnerability  assessment  shall  include  the  site's susceptibility  to  product  substitution,  mislabeling,  dilution,  counterfeiting  or  stolen  goods  which  may  adversely impact food safety.

But in the glossary –

Food Fraud

As  defined  by  Michigan  State  University,  a  collective  term  used  to  encompass  the deliberate  and  intentional  substitution,  addition,  tampering,  or  misrepresentation of food, food ingredients, or food packaging; or false or misleading statements made about a product, for economic gain.

(same def. as GFSI ?)

I think the difficulty is that Fraud defs. typically (inc.BRC) use defs (eg economic...) which are not safety-oriented but "could"  "incidentally" overlap/generate safety-related events. (This is to ditinguish between "threats" which are categotically safety motivated". But SQF8 Food Safety Codes  must be exclusively safety-related.

It is possible the “safety” wording of 2.7.2  will exclude many GFSI designated vulnerability/fraud exploits.

As would be expected, the SQF8 Quality Code textually has “safety” replaced by “quality” so  no direct textual “clash”. (ignoring SQF's own choice of “quality” to be interpreted as non-safety).

? This SQF "Level" division represents a promotional advantage over BRC7 (the latter wants all  fraud scenarios to be auto-covered) ?

? This SQF "level" division renders  the Manufacturing Code, per se,  incompatible to the (just released) GFSI 7 ?, ie

The new GFSI Issue 7 Guidance Document was published just this week and addressing Food Fraud is required. It is not optional. There is no debate on “if” it is included. With the requirements just being finalized the expanded questions of “how” to comply will be for the future

.http://foodfraud.msu...ue-7-published/

(Maybe GFSI will intuitively combine the SQF "levels")

(B)

Curiosly, IMO, clause 2.7.2 is totally absent from the Retail Safety Code. But “fraud” (Michigan def.) remains in the Glossary.

(C)

Just for contrast, Clause 2.7.2 is retained in SQF8 – Safety Code for Food Packaging, a promotional disadvantage vs BRC ?

? As for (A) this interpretation renders the Packaging Code, per se,  incompatible to the (just released) GFSI 7 ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1286 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:42 AM

Hi Charles,

I don't think there is a problem with the definition or requirements.

GFSI 7
Food fraud mitigation plan 
The standard shall require that the organisation has a documented plan in place that specifies the measures the organisation has implemented to mitigate the public health risks from the identified food fraud vulnerabilities. 

An example would be Melamine in the Chinese Milk Scandal which was added for economic gain but created one of the largest 'food safety events':

Kind regards,

Tony

charbear

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 64 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:57 PM

Edition 8 of the SQF Code will be valid for all certification audits conducted after January 2, 2018.

The following documents are available for download free of charge:
SQF Food Safety Fundamentals Edition 8
SQF Food Safety Code for Primary Production Edition 8
SQF Food Safety Code for Food Retail Edition 8
SQF Food Safety Code for Manufactuirng Edition 8
SQF Food Safety Code for Manufacture of Food Packaging Edition 8
SQF Food Safety Code for Storage and Distribution Edition 8
SQF Quality Code Edition 8 - The SQF Quality Code builds on the system elements defined in the various SQF Food Safety Codes.  Sites seeking to attain certification to the SQF Quality Code, or retain what was previously SQF Level 3 certification in edition 7, shall first be certified to the applicable SQF Food Safety Code for their industry sector.

The new documents can be downloaded here.

Each SQF Food Safety Code has their own Part A: Implementing and Maintaining the SQF Code, System Elements (Formerly module 2); and GAP/GMP/GDP/GRP sections (retained as modules 1 – 14)

For example SQF Food Safety Code for Manufacturing includes:
Part A: Implementing and Maintaining the SQF Food Safety Code for Manufacturing
SQF System Elements for Food Manufacturing
Module 3: Good Manufacturing Practices for Animal Feed Production (GFSI Scope F)
Module 4: Good Manufacturing Practices for Processing of Pet Food Products (GFSI Scope F)
Module 9: Good Manufacturing Practices for Pre-processing of Animal Products (GFSI C)
Module 10: Good Manufacturing Practices for Pre-processing of Plant Products (GFSI D)
Module 11: Good Manufacturing Practices for Processing of Food Products (GFSI El, Ell, Elll, ElV and L)

Highlights from SQFI:

The format of the SQF Code, Edition 8 has been updated to provide customized requirements for key industry sectors in separate stand alone codes.
All food safety codes will be submitted to the Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) for the benchmarking of all industry scopes that have GFSI requirements.
There will be no significant changes to the codes. However, due to the addition of new elements (or the elimination or consolidation of elements) there are some minor numbering changes.
The SQF Code Edition 8 replaces the SQF Code Edition 7, and is valid for all certification audits conducted after January 2, 2018. Those sites with an existing SQF certification will be required to upgrade their processes and procedures to meet the requirements outlined in Edition 8 by that date.

There is a free Learning Lunch Webinar on April 06, 2017 for those interesting in gaining a better understanding of Edition 8 and the changes.
To register for the webinar click here

Thank you so much for posting this! I have just started our SQF programs and thankfully am not so far in that it will take months to conform to the changes:)

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:15 PM

Hi Tony,

The reality is that the terminologies involved/selected by GFSI were always going to be a semantic fudge (predictable from the position paper of 2014). Just as an example from "their" website -

Clearly the most common and dangerous public health threat is from adulteration, but all types of Food Fraud include vulnerability.  While the horsemeat adulteration did not result in a public health incident, it could have… and we would have had no way to trace the dangerous products.  Even stolen genuine goods (could?) pose a public health vulnerability  since we lose sight of the product as it moves through the supply chain. The product could have spoiled from mishandling, or that lack of transparency would provide a fraud opportunity  for other types of actions.

:yeahrite:

http://foodfraud.msu...sessment-vaccp/

If yr GFSI-7 quotation is complete (I haven't read the Standard), it is surely mis-matched to the definition in the SQF8 Glossary. If SQF/GFSI are content to disregard the latter then i agree with you that there is no significant  textual difference at all for Codes where SQF includes fraud in the text. I deduce that for GFSI/SQF8 all food fraud events which do/did not involve safety, eg Horsegate, will be outside the scope of, for example, the Manufacturing Code. Very Good News for relevant SQF Users !.

Just for comparison, Here is the (prematurely?) quoted BRC definition for GFSI-7 :

The  Global  Standard  for  Food  Safety  Issue  7  defines  food  fraud  as  the  fraudulent  and intentional substitution, dilution or addition to a product or raw material, or misrepresentation of the product or material, for the purpose of financial gain, by either increasing the apparent value of the product or by reducing the cost of its production.

Safety-related aspects are apparently inconsequential to BRC as implied in their Glossary definition (similar to SQF8's). BRC want the lot for Due Diligence.

IMO SQF8'ers  have a potential benefit except will maybe now need a differential Fraud database.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1286 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:10 PM

Hi Tony,

I deduce that for GFSI/SQF8 all food fraud events which do/did not involve safety, eg Horsegate, will be outside the scope of, for example, the Manufacturing Code. Very Good News for relevant SQF Users !.

Hi Charles,

I don't quite understand why you think that.

GFSI V7
Food fraud vulnerability assessment 
The standard shall require that the organisation has a documented food fraud vulnerability assessment procedure in place to identify potential vulnerability and prioritise food fraud mitigation measures.

I don't read the SQF requirements as being exclusive to food safety.

Kind regards,

Tony

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:19 AM

Hi Tony,

ex Post 9

If yr GFSI-7 quotation is complete

I rest my Case.

So maybe BRC do/did have a good GFSI-Nostradamus, albeit Safety blinkered.

ex Post 10

I don't read the SQF requirements as being exclusive to food safety

Nor do I.

But,  Ignoring the Glossary, Pls compare the relevant texts of (a) SQF8 Manufacturing and (b) SQF8 Quality Codes.

(a) as i read it, only refers to fraud/vulnerability in the context of Safety (2.7.2.1, 2.7.2.2)

(b) as I read it, only refers to fraud/vulnerability in the context of Quality (non-safety)(2.7.1.1, 2.7.1.2)

This pattern appears to me to follow the traditional SQF Lvl2/3 division, similar to the (retained) CCP/CQP split.

But I accept that a split Fraud approach seems somewhat GFSI problematical.

I wonder when the Guidelines will appear, 2018 ?

Regardless, one might suggest that contracted SQF auditors offer a "free," 1-month subscription to the USP Database.

PS - Thanks again for yr Post 1, very helpful :thumbup:

PPS - I also noticed one more intriguing terminology - "Quality Threat" (probably not new to SQF)

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1286 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:42 AM

Thanked by 2 Members:

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1286 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 April 2017 - 06:02 AM

There are a few errors in the Manufacturing Changes document from SQF. Here is a summary of the ones I've found.

Attached File  SQF Change Summary Errors.pdf   377.94KB   123 downloads

Kind regards,

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 27 April 2017 - 06:10 AM

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the searching.

A "few" ? You are very generous. :smile:

And, in my expectation, some more to come.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

esquef

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 374 posts
  • 235 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:55 PM

Just to put a fine point on the Food Fraud issue with SQF: if the issue has the potential to be a food safety risk (ex. melamine added to a commodity to increase protein content when the product is analyzed)it falls under Level 2 (in Ed. 7.2) or whichever Food Safety Code you fall into in Ed.8. If the issue is food fraud for monetary gain, but presents no food safety risk (ex. extra virgin olive oil cut with cheaper oils) it would fall under Level 3 (in Ed. 7.2) or the Food Quality Code in Ed.8.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 12 May 2017 - 04:50 AM

Just to put a fine point on the Food Fraud issue with SQF: if the issue has the potential to be a food safety risk (ex. melamine added to a commodity to increase protein content when the product is analyzed)it falls under Level 2 (in Ed. 7.2) or whichever Food Safety Code you fall into in Ed.8. If the issue is food fraud for monetary gain, but presents no food safety risk (ex. extra virgin olive oil cut with cheaper oils) it would fall under Level 3 (in Ed. 7.2) or the Food Quality Code in Ed.8.

Hi esquef,

A few comments.

afaik the melamine safety risk is/was unrelated to a "protein" effect. The melamine content did however undoubtedly exceed maximum acceptable levels as a food contaminant with certain, well-known, disastrous, health safety consequences.

https://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/0900949/

Afaik "Food Fraud", per se, is not mentioned in SQF Code 7.2. Also neither in Codex or NACMCF which are the SQF referenced sources for safety (ie haccp).

But presumably there is no argument that much(all?) of the product involved in the melamine episode failed Product Specifications regarding adulterants.

With respect to SQF8, I think you are agreeing with the comments in Post 11.

If so, I predict that SQF are about to become (negatively :thumbdown: ) out of step with GFSI as far as their Manufacturing Code is concerned (I haven't attempted a precise comparison with GFSI's ["safety"] definition of Food Fraud but i anticipate this will include all "species" of Food Fraud, eg as interpreted in BRC). Reasons for the out-of-step are given in post 11.

(BRC avoid a conflict since they fortuitously blend both quality(non-safety) and safety factors into one (nominal) Food Safety Standard).

Interesting to see the SQF Conclusion.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

esquef

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 374 posts
  • 235 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:24 PM

Hi Charles,

You're correct about food fraud specifically being called out in Ed. 7.2 (although I'd guess that an overzealous auditor might lump it in with 2.4.5 - Incoming Goods and Services).

Re. melamine I was referring to the addition of melamine in China to increase the apparent protein content in powdered baby formula. From a Reuters article:

"WHY ADD MELAMINE TO MILK POWDER? -- Melamine is rich in nitrogen, and relatively cheap. Adding it to sub-standard or watered-down milk makes the milk's protein level appear higher. Standard quality tests estimate protein levels by measuring nitrogen content. IS THIS WHY IT WAS ADDED TO PET FOOD? -- Yes. Melamine was linked to the deaths of cats and dogs in the United States last year after it was added to wheat gluten and other pet food ingredients exported from China, in another attempt to boost the products' apparent protein content."

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1286 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 12 May 2017 - 03:29 PM

Re. melamine I was referring to the addition of melamine in China to increase the apparent protein content in powdered baby formula. From a Reuters article:

"WHY ADD MELAMINE TO MILK POWDER? -- Melamine is rich in nitrogen, and relatively cheap. Adding it to sub-standard or watered-down milk makes the milk's protein level appear higher. Standard quality tests estimate protein levels by measuring nitrogen content. IS THIS WHY IT WAS ADDED TO PET FOOD? -- Yes. Melamine was linked to the deaths of cats and dogs in the United States last year after it was added to wheat gluten and other pet food ingredients exported from China, in another attempt to boost the products' apparent protein content."

You are mixing up two incidents in your post, the first I already posted about in post 7

The pet food incident was similar but not the same as it was related to gluten not milk.

Kind regards,

Tony

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1286 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 May 2017 - 01:53 AM

SQF Code – Edition 8: Checklists are now available on the SQFI website:

Edition 8 Checklist: SQF Food Safety Fundamentals
Edition 8 Checklist: The SQF Food Safety Code for Primary Production
Edition 8 Checklist: The SQF Food Safety Code for Manufacture of Food Packaging
Edition 8 Checklist: The SQF Food Safety Code for Storage and Distribution
Edition 8 Checklist: The SQF Food Safety Code for Food Retail
Edition 8 Checklist: the SQF Food Quality Code

Here is the link to Edition 8 Checklist: The SQF Food Safety Code for Manufacturing

Kind regards,

Tony

Thanked by 2 Members:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 31 May 2017 - 06:01 AM

JFI regarding my speculations over SQF8/food fraud in previous posts, i just ( :doh: ) noticed this statement in the SQF8 FAQ -

45. Is food fraud only for food safety related issues?

Food fraud is covered in both the Food Safety and Quality Codes.  In the SQF Food Safety Codes it covers only food fraud that may impact food safety.  The SQF Quality Code includes all food fraud issues.

GFSI aligned ?? Hmmm.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,614 posts
  • 1133 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:27 AM

Hmmmm is right. We found several fascinating items in the new 8.0 that we reported to SQFI.

Sometimes final releases are not really final.

Seems this ocurred when 7.2 was released too.

Keeps us on our toes.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Private CONSULTANT

(Food, Emerging Financials & Supplements)

ceo - Goodstart Coastal Enterprises, LLC

United States of the Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

Parkz58

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 217 posts
  • 65 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 August 2017 - 05:54 PM

On the note of Edition 8 having problems, I actually spent two days going through and comparing, side-by-side, Modules 3, 4 and 11 (which, due to our particular product and process, we have to meet the requirements of all three modules).  I found a LOT of issues...many inconsistencies, most of which are rather inane and it looks like there wasn't much work done to attempt to harmonize the three together, which creates a big headache for those of us who have to meet requirements of more than one Module.

Understandably, some of the items within each module would be different, but there are actually VERY few true differences from what I can tell...wouldn't it be much easier to simply produce one Manufacturing module, and include all of the combined elements of all three Modules, and then just make note of the very few that don't apply to specific forms of manufacturing (such as animal feed, pet food, or food production)?  On a grand scale, there are really only substantial differences in the areas of Mixing, Formulation, Medication/Medicine.  The rest are trivial differences at best, and could easily be included as requirements for all Manufacturing without creating undue additional requirements on any one Module segment.

I have added the attachment for your perusal, if you are so inclined - I simply put all text in red that was inconsistent (including code numbers)...do you think this would be worth sending to someone at SQF so they could, perhaps, try to align things better?

Brian

Attached Files

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,614 posts
  • 1133 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 01 August 2017 - 10:29 PM

Most certainly call SQFI.

When we found issues with the new 8.0 we called, reported them and they followed up.

The SQFI staff has been fantastic thru the years in being proactive on inputs and suggestions.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Private CONSULTANT

(Food, Emerging Financials & Supplements)

ceo - Goodstart Coastal Enterprises, LLC

United States of the Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

Thanked by 1 Member:

Parkz58

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 217 posts
  • 65 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 August 2017 - 01:39 PM

OK, will do - thanks!

Parkz58

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 217 posts
  • 65 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:14 PM

SQFconsultant, who do you recommend I speak to at SQFI?  Do you have a direct contact, and an email address and/or phone number?

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SQFI, SQF Code, SQF Code Edition 8, GFSI, Food Safety Certification, SQF Quality Code, SQF, GFSI Benchmarked Standard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users