• IFSQN Member
  • 82 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:49 AM

Hello all,

There are some upcoming changes for the limit of mercury in foodstuff this led to something I do not understand.

In the EU legislation 1881/2006 setting maximum levels for certain contaminants in foodstuffs, are the limits for Mercury in foodstuff.

Let’s take sesame seeds as an example which is naturally high in mercury. According to 1881/2006 there is no legal limit.

Now I just found out that there is a mercury limit for sesame seeds in 396/2005 on maximum residue levels of pesticides in or on food and feed of plant and animal origin. There used to be pesticides which used mercury but this is not used anymore.

Now for my question, what do we need to do when the naturally occurring mercury is above the pesticide limit of mercury? Does anyone know if there is a difference between the 2?

Thanks in advance

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,327 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 05 April 2017 - 03:17 PM

Mercury is not naturally occurring.  I never knew sesame seeds naturally had high mercury.  Do you mean natural in the sense that it is in the water for irrigating?  Can you further explain?

Thanked by 1 Member:

Gilles

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 82 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:34 AM

sorry for the confusion, I was mixing Cadmium and Mercury up.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users