• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:46 PM

Hello all,

New to snack manufacturing and need help for a changeover matrix.

Currently producing products with flavors of Vanilla, Cheddar, Sweet Onion, BBQ, Sweet Potato, White Cheddar, Pumkin, Ginger and Dill Pickle.

These are examples of the flavors we produce and bag.

Please help or point in right direction to establish changeover matrix of when deep clean or dry cleaning needed.

Thank you all.

QAGB

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 685 posts
  • 262 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:09 PM

Hello all,

New to snack manufacturing and need help for a changeover matrix.

Currently producing products with flavors of Vanilla, Cheddar, Sweet Onion, BBQ, Sweet Potato, White Cheddar, Pumkin, Ginger and Dill Pickle.

These are examples of the flavors we produce and bag.

Please help or point in right direction to establish changeover matrix of when deep clean or dry cleaning needed.

Thank you all.

Hi MP42,

What I'd suggest you do, is to list all the allergens in each product (Excel/spreadsheet would work great for this). Put all the known allergens in columns as your headers. List the products in the rows, and place an "X" mark if the product includes the allergen.

It sounds like time segregation is the most feasible option for you. If that is the case, you would want to run the product with the least (or maybe none) of the allergens first. In order to keep the process a mostly dry clean, you'd need to look at running a product that has the same allergens in common as the first product you ran; but can have additional allergens. The next product you run needs to have the same allergens in common with the first two products; but can have additional allergens. The same process continues until you run out of commonalities, or you have to switch to a different allergen profile. In the flow I describe above, I would imagine you should be able to do a dry clean between products, unless you assess it otherwise (perhaps dry clean not sufficient enough to remove flavor profile from previous product). At the end of the production (or at least when you come to a point where you are running product with a different allergen profile), you would then do a deep clean and should perform ATP and allergen swabbing tests specific to each protein in the system. You may not have to do ATP swabbing (I would), but you at least have to do allergen swabbing for verification purposes.

I'm just going to use your vanilla, cheddar, and white cheddar as examples. Lets just say these are your allergens for each (probably not really your allergens but I need something to work with):

• Vanilla - Wheat
  • Cheddar - Wheat, Milk
  • White Cheddar - Wheat, Milk, Soy

You have orders in for each of these three. You can run vanilla first (1 allergen), then cheddar second (2 allergens - still contains wheat), and then white cheddar last (3 allergens -- but contains wheat and milk in common with the first two). A dry clean can be done between the vanilla, cheddar, and white cheddar runs. If you have to run cheddar or vanilla again after you ran the white cheddar, you will need a deep cleaning. If you run vanilla, then you need to ATP and allergen swab for milk and soy proteins. If you run cheddar rather than vanilla, then you will need a deep cleaning, and then perform ATP tests and allergen swabs for soy.

Lets add another one:

• Pumpkin - Milk, Egg

If you have to run this after the white cheddar, rather than the vanilla or cheddar, then you will need to do a deep cleaning and testing before you run. You'll be ATP testing and swabbing for soy and wheat (since these are present in the white cheddar and not present in the pumpkin). If you have to go back to vanilla after you run pumpkin, you will need to do a deep cleaning which includes ATP and allergen swabs for milk and egg.

QAGB

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies