Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 123 posts
  • 28 thanks
Neutral

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:IronMan Competitor & Film lover
    IFSQN Member of the Month July 2017 and chuffin proud!

Posted 26 April 2017 - 03:57 PM

Hi

I wondered if anyone has any experience or an idea about the use of test pieces for when you put wine glasses/cups/bottles under an air extractor to make sure there isnt anything within it, i.e. packaging tape, peices of plastic or dead spiders for example (hopefully not the last!) to prove its working efficiently. We have been challenged that we should have a standardised repeatable method. :doctor:

Thanks

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,791 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 May 2017 - 05:44 AM

I wouldn't use a test piece, at least not routinely.  What I'd do is link up your extraction to a failure alert system, e.g. an alarm or ideally an alarm and a belt stop if the vacuum fails to draw above a certain limit.  I'd then do a routine check by switching off the vacuum or blocking the line in some way.

I suppose as a validation it's an option to put in a "test piece" of some kind but in reality what you want to suck out is likely to be small and vary considerably in density but as a validation you could find out what kind of contaminants your vacuum is likely to draw out.

If you do go down the route of having a test piece and providing you have metal detection later in the process, I would certainly make your test pieces metal detectable so you know you're not likely to then let them go with the product but I would say it's a procedure which is fraught with risk of contaminating the product (more risk than not testing it.)

GrumpyJimmy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 123 posts
  • 28 thanks
Neutral

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:IronMan Competitor & Film lover
    IFSQN Member of the Month July 2017 and chuffin proud!

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:04 AM

I wouldn't use a test piece, at least not routinely.  What I'd do is link up your extraction to a failure alert system, e.g. an alarm or ideally an alarm and a belt stop if the vacuum fails to draw above a certain limit.  I'd then do a routine check by switching off the vacuum or blocking the line in some way.

I suppose as a validation it's an option to put in a "test piece" of some kind but in reality what you want to suck out is likely to be small and vary considerably in density but as a validation you could find out what kind of contaminants your vacuum is likely to draw out.

If you do go down the route of having a test piece and providing you have metal detection later in the process, I would certainly make your test pieces metal detectable so you know you're not likely to then let them go with the product but I would say it's a procedure which is fraught with risk of contaminating the product (more risk than not testing it.)

Thanks GMO, ive never considered the vacuum presure being the trigger for this. Sadly no metal detection either on site so complicates things but atleast you have given me something to work with

Thanks again

J

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: testpiece, extraction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users