Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 29 April 2017 - 08:35 AM

hi, we are currently implementing CAPA..please help me how to verify corrective action plans.. thank you in advance

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 29 April 2017 - 02:42 PM

hi, we are currently implementing CAPA..please help me how to verify corrective action plans.. thank you in advance

Hi streamchem,

As related to any particular FS Standard ? eg iso22000 ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 May 2017 - 05:53 AM

As you've not posted in a specific standard, in general, you'd verify the plan can be effective.  You've mentioned CAPA and also "Corrective action plans".  The two are actually different.  CAPA stands for corrective action, preventive action and is so two parts, the latter is only half of the message and it's important to split out the two.  In general, when I see CAPA they still only have a correction not a prevention.  A correction solves that specific issue, the prevention is intended to make sure it never happens again.  The only way to have a decent preventive action is to give at least some thought to the root cause(s) of why the thing went wrong in the first place.  So my first step if I was an auditor is to look at the proposals, has root cause been considered?  Is the prevention likely to address the root cause?  

If you're then asking how you verify the actions are complete, there's no substitute to looking in person and especially talking to people about it.  If you're an external auditor this is virtually impossible unless the audit was very poor and sadly you have to rely on a bit of trust in the supplier.  Normally you'd ask for evidence, e.g. training records, photos and that's all you can do to verify the action has really been closed out.

Thanked by 3 Members:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:01 AM

Hi GMO,

I'm pretty much ignorant regarding CAPA but, as you say, the popular catch-phrase on the IT seems to be to "verify the effectiveness" of the CAPA. Followed by stuff like you mention, eg RCA.

I prefer to stick with HACCP NUOCAs as far as possible/allowed. Old school.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 01 May 2017 - 11:50 AM

I think GMO has covered this off.

Verification is normally by checks to ensure the corrective action taken and any preventative actions have been implemented and are effective.

Kind regards,

Tony

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users