Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 May 2017 - 11:29 PM

Hello, I am currently reviewing our supplier's hazard analysis for their fresh noodles. These noodles (made of wheat) are steamed, washed (water), cut, packaged (OPP/CPP), sterilized/steamed (at 194 degrees F for >40 min.), cooled, then refrigerated in a cooler that is 68 degrees F or less until boxed and shipped.

Typically, fresh noodles are known to be a TCS food as fresh noodles have high Aw and are prone to microbial growth. But because of the high temperature sterilization, existing hazardous pathogens would have been effectively eliminated. However, is it still safe to keep it under 68 degrees F? 

Any advice would help.

Thanks!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:50 AM

Hello, I am currently reviewing our supplier's hazard analysis for their fresh noodles. These noodles (made of wheat) are steamed, washed (water), cut, packaged (OPP/CPP), sterilized/steamed (at 194 degrees F for >40 min.), cooled, then refrigerated in a cooler that is 68 degrees F or less until boxed and shipped.

Typically, fresh noodles are known to be a TCS food as fresh noodles have high Aw and are prone to microbial growth. But because of the high temperature sterilization, existing hazardous pathogens would have been effectively eliminated. However, is it still safe to keep it under 68 degrees F? 

Any advice would help.

Thanks!

Hi assila,

Sounds more like Pasteurization ?

Excuse my ignorance of noodle processing but why refrigerated(cooled ??)  to 68degF (20degC) ? (room temperature)

Is the product supposed to be shelf stable ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

assila91

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 May 2017 - 03:55 PM

Hi Charles, 

We receive this product frozen and their spec also states to KEEP FROZEN or KEEP REFRIGERATED AFTER THAWING so it should not be a shelf stable product. 

Initially, I was assuming they may have doubled their cooling step (no hazards identified) on their hazard analysis but because they have identified pathogen growth as a biological hazard in their refrigeration storage step (next step after cooling) where their preventative control measure for that step is to "keep product cool under 20 degrees C" .... now I'm confused.   

:helpplease:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 09 May 2017 - 04:10 PM

Hi Charles, 

We receive this product frozen and their spec also states to KEEP FROZEN or KEEP REFRIGERATED AFTER THAWING so it should not be a shelf stable product. 

Initially, I was assuming they may have doubled their cooling step (no hazards identified) on their hazard analysis but because they have identified pathogen growth as a biological hazard in their refrigeration storage step (next step after cooling) where their preventative control measure for that step is to "keep product cool under 20 degrees C" .... now I'm confused.   

:helpplease:

Hi assila,

It sounds like there is confusion over the words "cool" and  "refrigeration".

Seems to be a "gap" between +20degC and ~(-)18degC. (Unless they meant -20degC)

Do you have a Production flowchart ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

assila91

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 May 2017 - 04:59 PM

Hi Charles, 

I have attached the sample flowchart. 

If you can give an insight I would appreciate it. 

assila91

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 May 2017 - 05:01 PM

Sorry. Didn't successfully attach to previous post. 

Attached Files

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 09 May 2017 - 05:59 PM

Sorry. Didn't successfully attach to previous post. 

Thks for chart.

There is apparently a large number of different preparation methods for noodles. (eg see attachment below which is for Asian non-refrigerated products).

From Wiki -

The production of both chilled and frozen noodles starts with boiled noodles cooked to an optimum state of doneness, generally considered as having a moisture gradient at the surface of the noodles of 80% moisture absorption, and at the core of the noodles of 50% moisture absorption. After boiling, chilled noodles are placed into packaging followed by refrigeration at between 4–10 °C (39–50 °F). Frozen noodles, by contrast, are flash frozen using either air blast technology, a contact freezer or a combination of both, usually at −40 °C (−40 °F) for 30 minutes. Both processes induce a swelling of the starch hat reduces deterioration and thus extends the noodles' shelf life In production, the boiling time for frozen noodles can be determined from a calculation that subtracts the cooking time of frozen boiled noodles from the total boiling time of fresh noodles. Mass produced frozen noodles are sometimes packaged first, and then flash frozen.Flash freezing noodles can retain their quality of freshness for up to one year when kept properly frozen.

https://en.wikipedia.../Frozen_noodles

I think the flowchart is a combination to cover  chilled/frozen noodles. The frozen bit is added on.

I guess the "boiling" in done in 2 stages for quality reasons combined with "pathogen" reduction.

"Sterilisation" is maybe a language difficulty.

The 68degF as shown looks like an error. Or the process is somehow different.

I guess "cooling" means chilled to 4-10 degC followed by storage.

I don't understand why "freezing" after shipping. Maybe inverted in  the chart..

Attached File  noodle technology.pdf   94.69KB   15 downloads

Edited by Charles.C, 09 May 2017 - 06:17 PM.
edited

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:09 PM

addendum

some more pictures here -

http://www.vdmfoodgr...es-online-.html

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

assila91

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:16 PM

Charles, 

Thank you for your input. 

I will try consulting with our supplier to have more clarity on their safety plan. 

I truly appreciated your help!!  :thumbup:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users