Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 10 May 2017 - 02:38 AM

The company I work for processes tropical fruits, primarily mangoes. We produce Aseptic Mango Puree, the puree is heat treated at 98 degrees Celsius for not less than 62 seconds. Batching is performed every 15 minutes at the aseptic console, the product is tested for pH and Brix and we aim at a certain brix level to conform with our specifications.

Further testing is performed after the steam sterilisation process, and I find that the brix is less than prior to the steam sterilisation process. I have been informed that brix is reduced due to the heat, however soeone else has informed me that the brix levels can increase again after the product has cooled to ambient temperature.

Can anyone confirm or deny this, please.

Vinodhini

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:08 AM

Hello foodpac,

Brix value may vary upon sample temperature. Brix shall be measured at 20 deg.cel. If you use hand held refractometer, use temperature correction chart if sample temperature above or below 20 deg cel. Chance of 1 deg brix variation if sample temperature is above 30.  In case your refractometer have Auto temperature compensation, it automatically displays result for 20 deg cel.

Hope this helps you.

Thanked by 2 Members:

QAGB

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 685 posts
  • 262 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:58 AM

Hi foodpac,

I'd say Vinodhini is correct in their findings. Brix is very sensitive to product temperature at time of test. If you're not already using a lab refractometer (rather than handheld), I'd also suggest looking into one with temperature compensation functions. Be aware, that some refractometers still do not accurately report Brix results if the product is too hot or cold; even with temperature compensation. You should still try to cool your product to 20 degrees C or thereabouts before testing. The refractometer that we have actually cools the product to 20C once the sample is placed into the chamber, which saves us quite a bit of time.

QAGB

Thanked by 1 Member:

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,326 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 12 May 2017 - 04:57 PM

Your brix can change during cooling if the product is allowed to vent as steam will vaporize off the product thus increasing your brix.  But, if you are aseptically packaging after sterilization your brix should not change.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users