• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is it ok to park an RV in a building used for ingredient storage?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic
- - - - -

ebutera

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 16 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 26 May 2017 - 03:36 PM

Ok, I have a really stupid question that I need some support on.

I have an executive who is parking his RV in a building used, in part, for ingredient storage.

I have explained the risks involved and why it should not be done.

They insist that I can risk assess the potential issues and come up with a way for the RV to be able to stay in the building.

Has anyone else come across something like this?

It's such common sense not to store personal vehicles in a warehouse that I am kind of at a loss.

Help me out if you can.

brianweber

Brian

• IFSQN Senior
  • 293 posts
  • 114 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cheese, Coffee, Golf, Scrabble, Food Safety, HACCP, BBQing

Posted 26 May 2017 - 04:38 PM

I feel for you. I had almost the same argument. Do a risk assessment and put in it unknown material and unknown biological material. What did he run over while driving it? What bird left a present on it? Metal shavings on the tires? There are so many unknowns that a good risk assessment would show the risk is extremly high in my opinion. I think it is a common sense thing. Plus unless he rolls it in there is also the hydrocarbon that could contaminate your ingredients.

Brian

ebutera

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 16 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 26 May 2017 - 04:40 PM

brianweber - what did you end up doing?

brianweber

Brian

• IFSQN Senior
  • 293 posts
  • 114 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cheese, Coffee, Golf, Scrabble, Food Safety, HACCP, BBQing

Posted 26 May 2017 - 07:08 PM

I did a risk assessment and showed that assessing against unknown risks is kind of hard.  At the end of the day just remember that if they still choose to do it after you have advised them not to-then it is on them. Maybe try explaining that management support is the #1 key to achieving/maintaining any type of certification. If they still choose to not listen then you can either move on from that issue or seek employment elsewhere. Remember, not all owners/executives look at things the way we do.

Brian

OPizza

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 June 2017 - 03:21 PM

I completely understand this problem.  We had a truck wash bay in the dry ingredient warehouse.  They would not remove it, because it had always been there.  When the auditor came, they asked if we pushed vehicles into it??  Gas driven vehicles in a food warehouse is a no no!  We got a major on the audit and then no more wash bay.  

Make sure to document your opposition, at minimum with an email to management.  Good Luck. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users