• Quick Navigation
Photo

HACCP plan and co-packers

Share this

Best Answer , 29 May 2017 - 11:41 AM

Hi Inverse ,

As your co packers are BRC certified , and as you stated  that the final product is yours , you have just to assure that the HACCP studies are integrated through the cycle , and there is no gaps , for example you will do yours , then the product go to co packer A , then B then C ,.. you follow up to make sure each step is covered in the scope of the BRC certificates ( which means the scope of their HACCP )  including transportation.But you do not have to create it as it will be  duplication.

AS far they are BRC certified and your internal Supplier approval recognized that , this is OK  .

Some internal supplier approval systems requires further validation , like questionnaire or copy for review /approve from HACCP or QAP , so you have to follow your own .

BR,

Ehab

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Inverse

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 53 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:53 AM

Hi all,

I am currently struggling to understand our responsibilities for Food Safety and HACCP plan. So here is a short summary:

We produce ingredients (in the UK) that will be blended with other ingredients (in the US) for sale in the US. The finished product will be our brand, so at the end of the day it is our responsibility to assure food safety. Am I right? 

So the biggest issue I have now is to understand how can I create a HACCP plan for our part and our co-packer's part? Should I have only our processing or do I need to consider our co-packers? Our co-packers are approved by BRC, so I guess they shouldn't have any issues. Do you have any idea of what would be my (as technical manager) responsibilities to assure food safety throughout the whole process?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you!

Ehab Nassar

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 137 posts
  • 147 thanks
Excellent

• Egypt
    Egypt

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:41 AM   Best Answer

Hi Inverse ,

As your co packers are BRC certified , and as you stated  that the final product is yours , you have just to assure that the HACCP studies are integrated through the cycle , and there is no gaps , for example you will do yours , then the product go to co packer A , then B then C ,.. you follow up to make sure each step is covered in the scope of the BRC certificates ( which means the scope of their HACCP )  including transportation.But you do not have to create it as it will be  duplication.

AS far they are BRC certified and your internal Supplier approval recognized that , this is OK  .

Some internal supplier approval systems requires further validation , like questionnaire or copy for review /approve from HACCP or QAP , so you have to follow your own .

BR,

Ehab

Inverse

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 53 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 May 2017 - 01:55 PM

Hi Ehab,

Thank you for a quick response. 

That really does make sense and I am glad to hear that! 

Thank you!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 29 May 2017 - 02:07 PM

Hi all,

I am currently struggling to understand our responsibilities for Food Safety and HACCP plan. So here is a short summary:

We produce ingredients (in the UK) that will be blended with other ingredients (in the US) for sale in the US. The finished product will be our brand, so at the end of the day it is our responsibility to assure food safety. Am I right? 

So the biggest issue I have now is to understand how can I create a HACCP plan for our part and our co-packer's part? Should I have only our processing or do I need to consider our co-packers? Our co-packers are approved by BRC, so I guess they shouldn't have any issues. Do you have any idea of what would be my (as technical manager) responsibilities to assure food safety throughout the whole process?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you!

Hi Inverse,

I suggest a further possibly relevant aspect to yr query.

The legal  safety responsibilities in USA related to your ingredient are not neccesarily the same as UK.

Actual Ingredient/Food Categorys are unknown.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users