Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 39 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:24 PM

I am working on turning our system over to Edition 8 of the SQF Food Packaging Code.  Up to this point, we have only been using gloves for primary packaging at customer request (due to the fact that most of our customers have been "grandfathered" into our system and we have a good reputation with them), but I want to make a push to my Management Team that we should be proactive in contamination reduction and move toward use of gloves by our packers for ALL primary packaging. 

Looking simply for a strong argument, precedent, industry standard, etc. to provide them so I can sway them that the pros outweigh the cons here.  Thank you in advance! 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:34 PM

I am working on turning our system over to Edition 8 of the SQF Food Packaging Code.  Up to this point, we have only been using gloves for primary packaging at customer request (due to the fact that most of our customers have been "grandfathered" into our system and we have a good reputation with them), but I want to make a push to my Management Team that we should be proactive in contamination reduction and move toward use of gloves by our packers for ALL primary packaging. 

Looking simply for a strong argument, precedent, industry standard, etc. to provide them so I can sway them that the pros outweigh the cons here.  Thank you in advance! 

Hi Heidi,

What kind(s) of primary packaging are you working with ?

Does SQF8 actually require handlers to wear gloves (disposable type?) ?

Not my area but I have never seen gloves used in the very few packaging manufacturing operations i have visited (primary/secondary).(Admittedly the overall GMP was not exactly "food-grade" either IMO despite having iso 9001).

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Heidi_SQF

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 39 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:45 PM

From what I am reading, there is no SPECIFIC requirement for gloves.  We are thin-walled food contact packaging.  Mostly secondary packaging up to this point, but have moved heavily into marketing to primary packaging clientele.

There is a heavy emphasis on preventing contamination both in Module 2 under GMPs and in Module 13 under Personnel Processing Practices.  I'm getting pressure from my Sales Department to make it standard to wear gloves for the primary packaging, but I want to be able to sell it to Management.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:02 PM

From what I am reading, there is no SPECIFIC requirement for gloves.  We are thin-walled food contact packaging.  Mostly secondary packaging up to this point, but have moved heavily into marketing to primary packaging clientele.

There is a heavy emphasis on preventing contamination both in Module 2 under GMPs and in Module 13 under Personnel Processing Practices.  I'm getting pressure from my Sales Department to make it standard to wear gloves for the primary packaging, but I want to be able to sell it to Management.

Hi Heidi,

Thks for info.

For the under-informed like myself, i presume you mean something like this -

https://www.evcoplas...olded-packaging

Assuming temperatures are comparable to conventional injection molding, I anticipate that  target micro. requirements for such TW packaging are also "commercially sterile". This would seem to support use of appropriate gloves if direct handling is involved. If no direct human contact with finished product, case seems more problematic.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Heidi_SQF

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 39 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:56 PM

The process for a majority of our primary packaging is trim-in-place thermoforming, but there is no automation currently on a majority of these lines for the final packaging process.  We are using packers for this portion of the process.  The research I was doing was yielding the same information though; that industry standard may be moving to gloves for direct contact with the product.

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:36 PM

I'm a fan of gloves simply for the fact that I don't need to be a czar about fingernail length and weird things like that, and in a packaging environment where there may be greasy/dusty equipment in your NPC areas, it's a nice way to cut down on handwashing time to remove soils from hands.

I just want to point out that it's really cool that your sales group is pushing for glove use. That's kind of awesome. In terms of selling to management, have the sales team come up with a marketing proposal for the change. You just provide the costs.

Oh, and your managers will be the worst ones at wearing the gloves, so make sure you let everyone know that it's a blanket policy for all. Especially when it's inconvenient :)

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

MJOAOCARDOSO

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Portugal
    Portugal

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:53 PM

..just one loose thought.... i sometimes prefer my co workers not to wear gloves(depending on the food industry), because it means they wash their hands more frequently than when they have gloves on...

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users