Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 June 2017 - 04:17 PM

I am preparing for a BRC audit for a company that just co-packs for other companies.  They do not purchase raw material or packaging - it is provided by the customer.

How much of sections 5.2, 5.4 & 5.5 do I have to cover for the Co-packer?  They really do not have any control over these.

Any insight and experience in BRC audits for a strictly co-packing operation would be helpful.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 11 June 2017 - 05:29 AM

Hi Mazie,

To a large degree the contract should specify the requirements.

5.2 PRODUCT LABELLING
​There may be contracted checks to confirm compliance with customer approved labels and standards.
5.2.4 may be appropriate: Where the label information is the responsibility of a customer or a nominated third party the company shall provide: • information to enable the label to be accurately created • information whenever a change occurs which may affect the label information.

5.4 PRODUCT AUTHENTICITY, CLAIMS AND CHAIN OF CUSTODY
There may be contracted tests for confirmation of authenticity

5.5 PRODUCT PACKAGING
There may be contracted tests/checks for confirmation of compliance and/or legality
If you are handling other products then there may be a need for 5.4.6 The process flow for the production of products where claims are made shall be documented and potential areas for contamination or loss of identity identified. Appropriate controls shall be established to ensure the integrity of the product claims.

Kind regards,

Tony

Mazie

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:37 PM

Thank you Tony for taking the time to answer my question.  Basically your answer confirmed what I was almost positive of - there is no "get out of jail free card" just because they do not control the supply.

Thank you again.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users